Nutley PB: Drug dealers beware

On Dec. 30 at 8:21 p.m. a Nutley Police detective observed a suspicious man standing in the shadows of a guard shack in Municipal Lot 1. The detective then observed a taxicab enter the lot and take on passengers. He questioned the man and the passengers and determined the rear seat passenger, 21-year-old Jorge Jimenez of Newark, was there to sell drugs The Newark man was found to be in possession of crack cocaine and heroin. A 16-year-old female friend, also from Newark, was found in possession of marijuana and released to a parent. Jiminez was charged with possession of CDS, possession with intent to distribute, and possession within 1000-feet of a school. He was issued summonses and a court date for the offense and released on his own recognizance.

Police Director Alphonse Petracco said if anyone thinks they can come into Nutley and sell or use drugs they are sadly mistaken. He has directed township police to enforce any and all drug violations encountered in an extra effort to make sure that these offenders realize this will not be tolerated.

In other Nutley Police happenings:

Jan. 6

1:46 a.m. – A traffic stop on Franklin Ave. and Chase St. found that the driver was operating an unregistered vehicle without insurance. The vehicle was impounded and the driver issued summonses.

3:43 a.m. – An officer observed an occupied vehicle parked in the lot of a closed convenience store on Washington Ave. When the occupants saw the officer they left the area and traveled towards Passaic Ave. As they drove off, they committed traffic violations. The officer initiated a stop which found the driver, 23-year-old Julian Cruz of Montclair with a suspended driver’s license and warrants out of the Essex County Sheriff’s Office for a civil contempt charge. Cruz was placed under arrest while officers checked out the passengers. It was discovered that 23-year-old Marc Banks of North Carolina had warrants out of Montclair and Paterson totaling over $1,000. Both men were transported to headquarters and the vehicle impounded.

7:54 a.m. – Newark Police recovered an Audi that was stolen from Nutley and used in a Jersey City robbery two weeks ago. The Newark officers are holding the vehicle for Jersey City Police to complete an inspection for trace evidence. Nutley removed the vehicle from the stolen vehicle database.

Jan. 5

5:55 a.m. – A caller reported a man on Hetherington Lane attempting to gain entry into several parked vehicles. The witness reported that the white male, approximately 5’11” tall, was wearing dark colored clothing and tried several door handles on parked vehicles before gaining entry into one. It was confirmed by the owner of the vehicle that the man was indeed an intruder. The witness reported that the suspect fled the area in a small grey or silver vehicle.

8:28 a.m. – A High St. resident reported their vehicle damaged and burglarized over the evening hours. The caller reported that their Audi, which had been parked on Renner Ave., had its window broken and several items taken, including temporary registration plates. Police are investigating.

10:43 p.m. – Police responded to an armed robbery on Spur Pl. when a man reported that a black male had entered his vehicle and robbed him of his money and cell phone at knife point. Police and detectives arrived on scene and initiated an investigation into what occurred and the identity of the fleeing suspect. Essex County

Sheriffs Officers arrived on scene with a K-9 unit to search for the suspect. When the victim saw the initiative that was set forth by the Department in response to his claim, he admitted that he was in the process of purchasing narcotics from the man identified as 21-year-old Raymond Cooley of Nutley.  Police detectives responded to a River Rd. location and placed Cooley under arrest when he answered the door with a knife in his hand. Cooley was charged with possession of a weapon, terroristic threats, possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose and robbery. He was placed in jail with bail pending.

Police Director Alphonse Petracco remarked that nothing good comes from a situation in which people are involved in narcotic transactions, whether they are buying, selling or using. Chief John Holland said that although the victim was engaging in illegal activity and initially misled Police, he was unsure if he will be charged at this time.

Jan. 3
1:58 p.m. – A Manchester Ave. residence burglar alarm sounded five times in a matter of several hours causing police to respond on each occasion. The homeowner was issued a summons for false alarms.

9:38 p.m. – An Edison Ave. resident, who peered out of her window when she heard dogs bark, observed a black male looking back at her. She claims the man fled southbound on Edison Ave. Police were unable to locate the man.

Jan. 2
1:02 p.m. – Police and fire departments responded to a home on Friedland Ave. after the homeowner reported smelling smoke. The owner also reported that one of his three dogs was lost as a result of the fire.

1:51 p.m. – Police were flagged down on Vincent Pl. when a young woman reported that her brother had injured himself while playing in Yantacaw Park. The 16-year-old boy was bleeding from his head and transported to an area hospital.

10:45 p.m. – A Wayside Lane. resident reported to police that there were several fraudulent attempts made on his ATM card including almost $400 withdrawn from a bank in Glen Ridge. Police are investigating.

11:46 p.m. – Mr. James Cox, 55, of Nutley turned himself into Police Headquarters on outstanding warrants out of Clifton. He was transported to Clifton and turned over to their custody.

Jan. 1
12:42 a.m. – Police responded to a Washington Ave. bus terminal when a commuter became unruly. Police advised the commuter to leave and advised the parties on how to proceed with charges.

1:27 p.m. – An officer observed a white vehicle fleeing south on Rt. 21 that was allegedly wanted in connection with a Clifton armed robbery. The officer pursued the suspect vehicle as far as Exit 4 in Newark where it escaped from his sight.  As the officer was heading back to town he spotted the vehicle and pursued him.

Unfortunately, the suspect once again eluded capture. The vehicle had Pennsylvania license plates and blue headlights.

3:12 p.m. – A Mountainview Ave. resident reported that several Arborvitae trees had been cut in the rear of his property. Police spoke to the adjoining neighbor who stated they had no knowledge of the trees being cut. The trees are valued at close to $2000.

Dec. 31
12:31 a.m. – A disturbance call by a Centre St. pub resulted in the arrest of Karl Francis, 21, of Nutley. Police attempted to break up a fight between Francis and another man but Francis continued despite police warnings. He was subsequently arrested and charged with a disorderly person offense and later released with a summons issued.

12:36 a.m. – A Centre St. resident reported chairs had been thrown about their driveway.

10:07 p.m. – A Franklin Ave. resident reported fraudulent charges on her credit card totaling over $600. Police are investigating.

12:58 p.m. – Police responded to a local business after a customer wearing a ski mask handed the cashier a suspicious note. The customer paid for products then left the store without making any threats or demands. The Detective Bureau is investigating the note’s contents.

Dec. 30
8:00 a.m. – A Nutley car dealership reported a 1989 Oldsmobile stolen from their establishment. Police entered the vehicle in the Stolen Vehicle Database.

10:23 p.m. – A Rhoda Ave. resident reported suspicious activity after his doorbell rang and he witnessed a vehicle fleeing his residence. He reported that this has happened before in addition to his home being egged.

Dec. 29
A Hawthorne Ave resident, who reported his Mercedes Benz stolen last week, received some personal belongings in the mail. The man reported that a driver’s license and other personal documents had been mailed back to him. Police are still searching for the vehicle.

2:00 p.m. – A Park Ave. man reported his 23-year-old girlfriend as missing. An investigation led by the Detective Bureau found the woman unharmed with friends in New York City a day later.

The Observer Staff