The Woman’s Club of Belleville needs vendors for an arts, crafts and collectibles show set for Oct. 19, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., at the Belleville Senior Center, 125 Franklin Ave., Cost is $25 per table. Contact Kathy at email@example.com or Joan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Disabled American Veterans Mobile Service Office will be at the DAV Belleville Nutley Chapter 22, 612 Mill St., on Wednesday, Oct. 9, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., to provide counseling and claim filing assistance free to all veterans and members of their families.
For more information, contact NSO Nicholas Bernardi at 973-297-3378.
Oakeside Bloomfield Cultural Center, 240 Belleville Ave., offers art classes for ages 7 to 17, beginning on Monday, Oct. 7, at 3:30 p.m. The $95 per month cost includes all supplies. To register, call 973-429-0960 or visit www.oakeside.org.
Bloomfield Public Library, 90 Broad St., hosts the following programs:
• Basic Computer Skills Class – Registration is required. Stop by or call the Reference Desk at 973-566- 6200, ext. 502.
• Friday Morning Knitting Club – Informal gathering of crafters. Stop by the library with knitting and crocheting projects anytime after 11 a.m.
• Get it Write! – Writing workshop on the second and fourth Saturdays every month at 2 p.m.
• Welcome reception for new director Adele Puccio on Wednesday, Oct. 2, at 4 p.m.
Bloomfield Art League meets on Oct. 6 at 1:30 p.m. at the Civic Center, 84 Broad St. Noted artist Katherine Jennings will give a demonstration on oil painting.
For further information about the league, contact email@example.com.
Mayor Raymond McDonough will provide an update on the town’s redevelopment projects at a Harrison Business Connections luncheon on Oct. 8 at 11:45 a.m. at the Hampton Inn and Suites, Harrison-Newark Riverwalk, Harrison. More information can be found at http://HBCevents.eventbrite.com.
Harrison East Newark Elks Lodge 2326, 406 Harrison Ave., hosts a pig roast on Saturday, Oct. 5, from 4 to 8 p.m. The $25 admission includes: beverage, D.J. music (country rock), pulled pork sandwiches, corn on the cob, etc.
Pathways to Independence sponsors a Walk-a-Thon on Saturday, Oct. 5, 10 a.m. to noon, at West Hudson Park (Schuyler Ave entrance). Proceeds benefit adults with disabilities. For more information, call Pathways Executive Director Alvin Cox at 201-997-9371, ext. 18.
Sacred Heart Church Chapel, 499 Belgrove Dr., Kearny, hosts “Blessing of the Animals” on Saturday, Oct. 5, at 10 a.m. on the church lawn.
Kearny UNICO announces:
• Membership meeting on Thursday, Oct. 3, at 7:30 p.m. If interested in attending, contact Chapter President Lou Pandolfi at 201-368- 2409. •
Columbus Day wreath laying ceremony on Saturday, Oct. 5, at 10 a.m. at the Christopher Columbus statue in Kearny Riverbank Park (at the foot of South Midland Ave.).
West Hudson Detachment of the Marine Corps League, 286 Belgrove Dr., hosts an SOS Breakfast on Sunday, Oct. 6, 9 a.m. to noon.
Cost is $7 for adults and $3 for children under age 12. For more information, contact Al Frater at 201-906-1197 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
St. Stephen’s Church, 141 Washington Ave., holds a coat drive on Oct. 5, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Donations of coats, sweaters and sweatshirts will be accepted in the lower church hall. If you know of a neighbor in need, stop by after noon. For more information, call 201-991- 0670.
New Jersey Blood Services conducts a blood drive on Oct. 9, 1 to 7 p.m., at at Domingo’s Bakery, 160 Passaic Ave.
The Evening Membership Department meets on Oct. 9 at 7:30 p.m. at the Henrietta Benstead Center, Columbia Ave.
The Ancient Order of Hibernians, Division 7, will hold a Scotch Whiskey Tasting Fundraiser on Saturday, Oct. 12, 7 to 9 p.m. at the Irish-American Association, 95 Kearny Ave., featuring Peter O’Connor, of Spike TV’s “Bar Rescue.” Tickets are $40 per person. Mail reservations and payment to: AOH Division 7, 227 Highland Ave, 1st Floor, Kearny, N.J. 07032. Proceeds benefit the AOH scholarship fund. For more information visit: email@example.com or call 201-889-5930. The Hibernians meet on the second Wednesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. at the Irish American Association.
Grace United Methodist Church, 380 Kearny Ave., sponsors a church fair on Saturday, Oct. 5, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., rain or shine. For information, call the church office at 201-991-1132.
The Rosary Society of Our Lady of Sorrows Church, 136 Davis Ave., meets on Thursday, Oct. 3, at 7 p.m., in the church basement.
Kearny Lodge of Elks Lodge 1050, 601 Elm St., hosts a breakfast on Sunday, Oct. 13, 9 a.m. to noon. Price is $6 per person.
Lyndhurst Health Department, 601 Riverside Ave., Suite 1, hosts the following:
• Women’s Health Clinic – Wednesday, Oct. 9, at 9 a.m. the clinic offers breast selfexamination, pelvic exam and pap smear. It’s open to township residents ages 18 and older. Call 201-804-2500 for appointments.
• Free flu vaccine clinic – Wednesday, Oct. 2, noon to 2 p.m., for township residents age 18 and older. Proof of residency is required. Medicare recipients must bring Medicare cards. Additional dates will follow depending on vaccine availability.
Lyndhurst Public Library, 355 Valley Brook Ave., has a small private meeting room available to the public
Reservations must be made in advance. Call the library at 201-804-2478, ext. 7, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The library announces the following children’s programs:
• Walk-in Story – Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 6:30 p.m., grades pre-k to 2. No registration is required.
• Fit4Kids Anti-Bulling Show –Muscle Man Mike and his Super Hero Friends present a discussion on strategies to prevent bullying, for ages 3 to 10, on Friday, Oct. 25, at 4 p.m. Registration is required.
Lyndhurst Woman’s Club sponsors a bus trip to Crossings Outlets and Mount Airy Casino on Tuesday, Oct. 23. A bus will leave the N.J. Transit lot by Shop Rite at 8:30 a.m. Cost is $30 per person (receive $25 in slot play and $10 food coupon from casino.) For tickets, call Janet at 201-935-1208.
The New Jersey Meadowlands Commission announces the following programs:
• Free two-hour First- Sunday-of-the Month Walk – Oct. 6, at 10 a.m., at Mill Creek Marsh in Secaucus (directions are on meadowblog. net in the left-hand column). Guests must sign a standard liability release. To R.S.V.P., contact Don Torino of the Bergen County Audubon Society at greatauk4@ aol.com or 201-230-4983.
• K-9 – New Jersey Search and Rescue – For all ages, on Wednesday, Oct. 9, 7 to 8:30 p.m., at Meadowlands Environment Center, 2 DeKorte Park Plaza, Lyndhurst. Learn how rescue dogs work. Admission: $5/person; $4/MEC members. For information, call 201-460-8300 or visit www.njmeadowlands.gov/ec.
Lyndhurst Woman’s Club and the Giving Tree host a Tricky Tray for children on Saturday, Oct. 12, at the Senior Building, 250 Cleveland Ave. The cost is $5. Doors open at noon and the program begins at 1 p.m. Refreshments will be served. No outside food or drink are permitted . For tickets, call Janet Ricigliano. For more information on becoming a member, call Marilyn Falcone at 201-933-6459.
North Arlington Elks Lodge 1992 conducts an all-day fundraising drive for physically disabled children on Saturday, Oct. 5, and Sunday, Oct. 6. Members will be out at locations throughout the borough to collect donations from businesses and residents.
Senior Harmony Club of North Arlington sponsors a trip to Mount Airy Casino, Pennsylvania, on Tuesday, Oct. 8. Cost is $25 ($25 and $10 food voucher from casino). Call Florence at 201-991-3173 for more information or reservations.
North Arlington Woman’s Club hosts a pasta night on Oct. 25, 5 to 8 p.m., at the Senior Citizens Center, 10 Beaver Ave. (behind the Health Department). Cost is $12 for adults and $6 for children under age 12. For tickets, call 201-997-8915.
Nutley Public Library, 93 Booth Dr., hosts “Facebook Privacy for Parents” on Tuesday, Oct. 8, 7 to 8 p.m. Learn how to protect personal information on Facebook and best practices for safety while using social networking sites. Registration is required; register at http://nutleylibrarychildrensroom.wordpress.com.