Top photo is the Atlantic Buckram Corp. (pictured sometime in the 1940s) which stood at 100 Riverview Ave. in North Arlington. We were unable to fi nd any information online about the company — although we did learn what buckram is: “a stiff-fi nished fabric of cotton or linen used for interlinings in garments, for stiffening in millinery, and in bookbinding.” When the building was constructed, we do not know, but it is a prime example of Industrial Revolution architecture and resembles part of an 1867 laundry that was on nearby Stevens Place, but that is only conjecture.
In the 1940s photo, it looks pretty shabby, and perhaps abandoned. This may have been a picture taken purely for posterity (us), for it was in the ‘40s that the borough was blossoming into residential suburbia and the old industries were closing or moving elsewhere. Today, Riverview Ave. is purely residential, but we could not locate any property numbered 100, so we must make do with a general view of the street on the 100 block.
– Karen Zautyk