Then & Now

Photo courtesy of Kearny Public Library

Photo courtesy of Kearny Public Library

 

Photo by Karen Zautyk

Photo by Karen Zautyk

 

 

This photo is undated, but judging by the clothing, we guess it was taken sometime in the 1930s, or maybe early ’40s. The place is the Kearny Ave. entrance to West Hudson Park (above the main dual stairway) and the season appears to be early spring. According to the Hudson County Parks Department: “The park itself dates as far back as 1888. However, Hudson County’s bond purchase for the land was not approved until November 1902, and additional construction began on June 15, 1910.” It comprises 46 acres, most of which are within the borders of Harrison. Our research produced scant information on specifi c park history, and we were hoping to fi nd some on that plaque that’s affi xed to the column – but as you can see in the ‘Now’ photo, it’s long gone. –Karen Zautyk

The Observer Staff