Belleville Elks Lodge 1123, 254 Washington Ave., hosts its monthly breakfast on Sunday, Feb. 16, from 9 a.m. to noon. The cost is $6 for adults, $3 for children under age 3, and children age 3 and older, free. If there are three or more inches of snow, the breakfast will be cancelled. Call the lodge at 973-759-9623 for more information. Breakfasts are held on the third Sunday of every month from September to May.
Belleville UNICO sponsors a bus ride fundraiser to the Taj Mahal in Atlantic City on Sunday, March 9. A pre-paid donation of $30 is requested ($35 at the door). A continental breakfast will be served before the trip at 8 a.m. at the Disabled American Veterans Post hall, 612 Mill St. The bus will leave at 8:50 a.m. Call 973-759-9259 to reserve seats (no last minute cancellations). Send checks, payable to IAOVC, to Gene Antonio, 436 Joralemon St., Belleville, N.J. 07109.
Bloomfield Public Library, 90 Broad St., hosts a Valentine’s Day blood drive on Feb. 14, from 1 to 4:30 p.m.
Children’s programs for the February break include the following:
• Spanish Storytime, for ages 2 to 5, is held on Monday, Feb. 17, at 11 a.m. It includes songs, stories, rhymes, finger plays and a craft.
• Make a Catapult, for ages 5 and up, is offered on Wednesday, Feb. 19, at 2 p.m.
• The Art of Eric Carle, for ages 4 and up, is scheduled for Thursday, Feb. 20, at 2 p.m. In this program, children will “dress for a mess.”
• “Despicable Me 2” will be screened for Movie Day on Friday, Feb. 21, at 2 p.m. Popcorn will be served. Registration is not required for February Break programming. In case of inclement weather, call 973-566-6200 to check on possible cancelations.
The library has slated a bone marrow drive Feb. 24 from 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Come learn about what it means to be a registered bone marrow donor and swab your cheek at the donor recruitment drive, hosted on behalf of Gift of Life Bone Marrow Foundation. People between 18 and 60 and in generally good health are eligible to be screened and join the worldwide registry.
Holy Cross Church sponsors a bus trip to the Taj Mahal in Atlantic City on Sunday, Feb. 16. The bus leaves from Holy Cross School at 10 a.m. A donation of $30 is requested (receive $25 in slot play). Refreshments will be served, starting at 9:15 a.m., in the school basement. For reservations, call Joan at 973-481-2434 or Marie (Spanish) 973-481-1799. Leave your name, phone number and the number of people attending.
Good Shepherd Church, 780 Kearny Ave., will conduct a blood drive in conjunction with New Jersey Blood Services on Feb. 16 from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Kearny Public Library, 318 Kearny Ave., invites children ages 4 and older to an art class from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 20. The library will provide the art materials. Registration is not necessary, but space is limited.
The Kearny Rotary Club meets every Wednesday at 12:15 p.m. at La Fiamma Restaurant, 440 Harrison Ave., in Harrison. Business leaders from Harrison are invited to learn about the work that Rotary International accomplishes around the world and in local communities. For more information about the club or to attend a meeting, call Joe D’Arco at 201-955- 7400 or Jose Fernandez at 201-991-1040.
The West Hudson Detachment of the Marine Corps League, 286 Belgrove Dr., invites all former and active duty Marines and FMF Corpsmen to an open house, every Friday from 7 to 10 p.m. Guests are welcome.
Fraternal Order of Eagles #2214, 166 Midland Ave., sponsors a fish fry, hosted by Argyle Fish and Chips, on Friday, Feb. 21, from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. Admission is $13.50 per person, payable at the door. Proceeds will benefit Wounded Warriors. Dinner includes fish and chips, clam chowder and soda. For more information, call 201-991-9865.
The Evening Membership Department of the Woman’s Club of Arlington meets on Wednesday, Feb. 12, at 7:30 p.m. at the Henrietta Benstead Center, Columbia Ave., for a Craft Night. The executive board meets at 6:45 p.m.
St. Stephen’s Seniors meet on Tuesday, Feb. 18, at noon. The re-scheduled Winter Party will be held. A board meeting is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. Members are reminded that 2014 membership dues of $10 is now due. A trip to Atlantic City is set for Feb. 26.
Upcoming events include the following:
• St. Patrick’s Day celebration will be held at LeGreci’s in Staten Island on March 11. Final payment is due at the Feb. 18 meeting.
• A trip to Norfolk, Va., for the Virginia International Tattoo, which includes Marching band competition, bagpipers, Scottish dancers, etc., is slated for April 24-27.
• An anniversary party will be held May 2, from noon to 4 p.m., at San Carlo’s in Lyndhurst.
• A trip to “Moses at Sight & Sound Theatres” in Lancaster, Pa., is scheduled for June 11-12.
• A cruise on the Norwegian Gem to Canada and New England is planned for Sept. 13-20. Call 201-991-4771 for further information.
For club information, call Tom at 201-998-8258; for tours, call Joan at 201-998- 3578; or for A.C., call Peg at 201-998-9443. For Sunshine (get well, sympathy cards), call Vicki at 201-991-8345.
Lyndhurst Health Department, 601 Riverside Ave., offers a free stroke prevention forum hosted by Clara Maass Medical Center on Friday, Feb. 21, at 10 a.m. Participants receive free blood pressure screenings and a light breakfast. Call the Health Department at 201-804-2500 to reserve a seat.
Lyndhurst Public Library, 355 Valley Brook Ave., announces:
• Walk-In Story, for pre- K to grade 2, is offered on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 6:30 p.m. No registration is required.
• Valentine craft, for grades 1 to 4, is held on Thursday, Feb. 13, from 3:30 to 4:15 p.m. Call the library at 201- 804- 2478 to register your child.
• Winter Welcome Sign Craft, for grades 1 to 4, is available on Monday, Feb. 24, from 3:30 to 4:15 p.m. Registration is required.
Lyndhurst Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 3549, 527 Valley Brook Ave., hosts karaoke on Feb. 14, starting at 7:30 p.m. The VFW hall is available to rent for all occasions. For more information, call the post at 201-939-3080.
Lyndhurst Knights of Columbus hosts Casino Night on Friday, Feb. 21, at the Veterans of Foreign Wars post, 577 Valley Brook Ave., beginning at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $50, which includes a hot buffet, cash bar and $100 in “play” money. No tickets will be sold at the door. Seating is limited. For tickets, contact Sal Russo at 201-446 7244 or Nick Garafolo at 201-893- 2848.
The New Jersey Meadowlands Commission has canceled the Feb. 14 Great Backyard Bird County Walk at Mill Creek Marsh in Secaucus, due to the temporary closing of Mill Creek Marsh, weather concerns, and the difficult footing on other Meadowlands trails.
This free two-hour Third-Tuesday-of-the-Month Bird Walk set for Tuesday, Feb. 18, at 10 a.m. has been moved from Harrier Meadow in North Arlington to DeKorte Park in Lyndhurst. The group will meet inside the Meadowlands Environment Center at 10 a.m. The walk is run by the New Jersey Meadowlands Commission and the Bergen County Audubon Society. Check meadowblog.net for last-minute weather updates. You will have to sign a standard liability release that is good for NJMC/BCAS events throughout the year. To R.S.V.P., contact Don Torino of the BCAS at mailto:email@example.com 201-230-4983.
North Arlington Public Library, 210 Ridge Rd., announces the following:
• A knitting group for adults meets on Thursday, Feb. 13, from 7 to 8 p.m. No registration required – just drop in. This group meets monthly.
Friends of the Library meets on Friday, Feb. 21 at 9:30 a.m. in the Senior Center (behind the library). New members are welcome; check the website for more details about membership: northarlington.bccls.org or call 201- 955-5640.
A screening of the documentary “Alice’s Ordinary People” will be held on Friday, Feb. 21, at 10:30 a.m. it tells the story of Alice Tregay – an influential figure in the civil rights movement during the 1960s. The program will last at least one hour and 45 minutes, and will take place in the Senior Center directly behind the library.
Nutley Public Library, 93 Booth Dr., will hold the following Star Wars-themed events:
• Scavenger Hunt is held at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 18. Registration is required.
• “Star Wars IV” (PG) is screened on Wednesday, Feb. 19, at 2 p.m.
• Live Action Game is offered on Thursday, Feb. 20, at 2 p.m.
• Drop-in Craft is available on Friday, Feb. 21 at 10 a.m.
• Meet Star Wars Characters on Saturday, Feb. 22, at 2 p.m. A joint Manga meeting will be held on Tuesday, Feb. 18, at 6 p.m.
For more information, call the library at 973-667-0405.
The kick off event for Nutley’s 8th annual Relay For Life Celebration has been rescheduled for Monday, Feb. 24, at Ralph’s Pizzeria & Italian Restaurant, 564 Franklin Ave., beginning at 6 p.m.