Here, we have a mystery. The ‘Then’ image is from a postcard dated 1920 and apparently published by Knox Presbyterian Church of Kearny. The back bears a preprinted message from the Rev. Robert T. Graham inviting members to ‘Rally Day’ on Sunday, Oct. 10, 1920. We don’t know what ‘Rally Day’ was, but that’s not the mystery. What we’d really like to identify in the old image is the building on the right.
Red-brick Knox Presbyterian is on the left, on Kearny Ave. just south of Woodland Ave., where it had stood since 1881. But what is that other church-like structure? It can’t be an earlier Knox. And online we found a 1907 photo of the property that shows a fairly substantial building (a private home?) on the spot where this mystery building is sketched here.
What stands there in the ‘Now’ picture is the MacMillan Chapel, where Knox Presbyterian held its final worship service in September 2013. The Knox/MacMillan property is now up for sale. But when was that other ‘church’ there? Was it affiliated with Knox? What was its name? Answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.
– Karen Zautyk