The Kevin G. Kennedy Civic Association will hold its 22nd annual scholarship breakfast May 17 at 10 a.m. at The Chandelier, 340 Franklin Ave. This year’s citizen scholarships will be given in memory of Margaret Mary O’Boyle and Brian Pomponio for their love of community service and family ties. Tickets are $30. Send check or money order payable to: Kevin G. Kennedy Civic Association, 45 Hornblower Ave., Belleville, N.J. 07109. Call 973-759-0738 for ads or information.
St. Thomas the Apostle Home and School Association sponsors a Tricky Tray fundraiser Thursday, April 30, at Valley Regency, Clifton. The $50 admission includes dinner and an evening of extravaganza. Only adults ages 21 and older are admitted. Send ticket payment to St. Thomas the Apostle School, 50 Byrd Ave., Bloomfield, N.J. 07003. This year’s theme is “Run for the Roses, Kentucky Derby.”
West Hudson Brave Women Fighting Breast Cancer meets the last Friday of every month, 7 to 9 p.m., at the East Newark Senior Center, 37 President St. For more information, call Emma at 201-998-6828, Rosa at 201-246-7750, Fatima at 973- 485-4236 or email emidura2@ yahoo.com.
American Legion Post 282, 8 Patterson St., hosts these events:
- Police and Firemen awards will be presented Saturday, April 25, at 4 p.m.
- Karaoke is every first Fri day of the month at 7 p.m.
Harrison Lions Club hosts its 10th Annual Pride of the Pride fundraising awards dinner at 7 p.m., Friday, April 24, the Harrison East Newark Elks, 416 Harrison Ave. Tickets are $35 for adults and $25 for children under 12. The admission price includes a buffet dinner, beer, wine, soda, and desert. The following individuals will be honored for their contributions to our community: Lion of the Year – Louis Lambe, Distinguished Citizen of the Year – Sylvia Pomponi, Citizen of the Year – Raymond Lucas and Young Adult of the Year – Robin Grijalva.
Kearny Lions Club hosts a brotherhood luncheon Wednesday, April 22, at noon, at the Salvation Army, 443 Chestnut St. For more information, call Joann at 201-998-3018.
Kearny UNICO will hold these events:
- Flapjack Fundraiser is set for Saturday, May 2, 8 to 10 a.m., at Applebee’s, 175 Passaic Ave. Breakfast includes pancakes, sausage, scrambled eggs and a beverage. Admission is $10. To purchase tickets, contact Judy at 201-991-5812. Proceeds benefit the chapter’s scholarship fund and other charities.
- The drawing for the Super 50-50 Raffle to benefit UNICO’s scholarship fund and other charities is Thursday, May 7, at 8 p.m. at the American Legion. Tickets are priced at $1. To purchase a raffle ticket, contact Lou at 201-368-2409.
- A fundraising bus trip to Resorts Casino in Atlantic City will leave Sunday, May 17, at 8:30 a.m. from the parking lot of Kearny Bank, 614 Kearny Ave. Tickets are $30 with $25 dollars in slot play credit returned by the casino. For tickets, Lou at 201-368-2409.
First Baptist Church of Arlington, 650 Kearny Ave., holds a free clothing give away Saturday, April 25, 9 a.m. to noon. (Raindate is May 9).
The deacons of First Presbyterian Church of Arlington, 663 Kearny Ave., host a fish and chip dinner Saturday, May 3, 5 to 7 p.m. Admission is $15 for adults; $8 for children under 12. Reservations are required. Call 201-991-3513 for reservations.
Volunteers are invited to come out for Kearny’s town cleanup and Passaic River cleanup Saturday, April 25. Register at 9:30 a.m. at the Frank Vincent Marina (foot of Bergen Ave.) or sign up at the Kearny Town Hall to clean the parks.
Sponsors are: the Town of Kearny, Passaic Valley Sewerage Commissioners/River Restoration Program, Kearny Shop Rite, Dunkin Donuts and all three Woman’s Clubs of Arlington.
Kearny High School PTA presents a dance, featuring hits from the ‘60s, ‘70s and ‘80s, Saturday, May 2, at 7 p.m., at the Irish American Club, 95 Kearny Ave. Tickets are $20. Proceeds benefit the PTA scholarship fund. Purchase tickets at the door.
For more information, email KearnyHighSchoolPTA@ yahoo.com or call Michelle at 201-998-0238 or Lisa at 386- 490-7719.
The Lyndhurst Health Department, 601 Riverside Ave., hosts these programs:
- A Clara Maass Breakfast Seminar, “Forget Me Not,” an Alzheimer’s discussion, will be held Friday, May 8, at 10:30 a.m.
- A free skin cancer screen ing is set for Monday, May 11, at 9:30 a.m. This screening is open to all Lyndhurst residents ages 18 and over.
Call 201-804-2500 to register for these programs.
Lyndhurst Girl Scouts, Lyndhurst Girls Association and the Township will honor Libbie Lindsay for her 88 years of service and leadership in the Lyndhurst Girl Scouts Saturday, April 25, at 11 a.m. (rain or shine), at the Girl Scout meeting house, 238 Livingston Ave. For more information, email teresa. casadonte@ gmail.com.
Mary Lou Mullins’ monthly bus trip to Resorts Casino in Atlantic City is set for Sunday, April 26. The cost is $30 and cash return is $30. For reservations and more information, call Mary Lou at 201-933-2186.
The Humane Society of Bergen County, 221-223 Stuyvesant Ave., will elect officers at its annual general meeting April 28 at 7 p.m. The public is invited. The society will also present its annual report and show the animals it shelters. Refreshments will be served. For more information, stop by or call 201-896-9300.
Lyndhurst American Legion Post 139 Rehabilitation Committee holds a ward party for veterans at Chestnut Hill Extended Care Facility, Passaic, April 28 at 2:30 p.m., in memory of William J. Bernard Sr., a World War II U.S. Navy veteran who served from 1943 to 1945.
Post members play games of chance with hospitalized veterans and distribute treats to them. Anyone interested in sponsoring a ward party is invited to call John Deveney at 201-438-2255.
The Senior Harmony Club sponsors a trip to Resorts Casino in Atlantic City Tuesday, May 12. Cost is $25. Nonmembers are welcome. Call Florence at 201-991-3173 for reservations or more information.
North Arlington Public Library, 210 Ridge Road, offers these activities:
- The Origami Club, open to grades 4 and up, meets Friday, April 24, at 3:30 p.m.
- National Poetry Month Celebration, open to all ages, is set for Saturday, April 25, at 11 a.m. Read your own work, listen and appreciate poetry.
For more information on library programs, call 201-955- 5640.
The North Arlington Health Department reminds residents who are dog owners to curb their pets and clean up after them or face enforcement by summons for any violations. For further information, contact the Health Department at 201-955-5695.
Nutley Public Library, 93 Booth Drive, presents these programs:
- The Friends of the Library hold a book sale, April 23 to 25, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Come out and stock up on hardcover books, paperbacks, CDs and DVDs at this semi-annual sale. Donations are welcome April 20 to 22.
- Cook with a Book, open to grades 4 to 6, meets Friday, April 24, at 3:30 p.m. Each month the group discusses a selected book and “cooks-up” something fun to eat. Selected books can be picked up and borrowed at the circulation desk. Read the book prior to the meeting. Registration is required.
- Paw Day, story times, crafts and reading to dogs is set for Saturday, April 25, at 1:30 p.m.
- The Teen Advisory Board meets on Monday, April 27, at 3 p.m.
- Video Game Club for teens meets Tuesday, April 28, at 3:15 p.m. No registration required. For more information or to register for programs, call the library at 973-667-0405.
The Women’s Auxiliary of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church sponsors a pilgrimage to the National Shrine of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in Middletown, N.Y., Thursday, May 14, leaving by bus from the church, 120 Prospect St., at 9:30 a.m. The day includes Mass, a hot lunch, a tour of the shrine, free time to visit the gift shop, private meditation, visiting outdoor shrines or relaxing. The $40 cost includes lunch and transportation. The group departs from the shrine at about 3:30 p.m. For more information or for reservations, call Linda at 973-661-0090.
The Historic Restoration Trust of Nutley will host an Antique Road Show at the Kingsland Manor, corner of Kingsland St. and Lakeside Drive, Saturday, May 16, 1 to 4 p.m. Jon Felz of RZM Fine Arts & Antiques Inc. is doing the show as a fundraiser for the Manor. RZM is a member of the New England Appraisers Association. Cost is $5 per item, with a limit of three items per appraisal. Additional items will require your getting back in line. For further information, call 973-661-3410 or email KingslandManorRestorationTrust@ mail.com
On May 3, at 9 a.m., the Nutley Chamber of Commerce will host its 17th Annual 5K Fun Run through town. The event starts with registration from 7 to 8:30 a.m. at the Oval. Younger runners can participate in either the Short Sprint or the Fun Run, while more seasoned runners will line up for the 5K. Registration forms can be found at the Chamber office, 172 Chestnut St.; Town Hall; the Nutley Public Library; Public Affairs Building, and the Parks and Recreation Building. For more information, visit http://nutleychamber.com/events/5kfun- run/ or contact the Chamber directly at: 973-667-5300 or chamber@ nutleychamber.com.