The Town of Kearny will provide cooling centers during what will likely be the first heat wave of the summer of 2016.
The Kearny Health Center is open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily, at 645 Kearny Ave., and serves as a cooling center.
The Kearny Public Library branches are also air conditioned cooling centers and are open during their normal hours:
• Main Library — 318 Kearny Ave.
Monday, Thursday & Friday 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Tuesday & Wednesday 9:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Branch Library – 759 Kearny Ave.
Monday to Thursday 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Closed on Friday & Saturday
Please be aware that children, seniors and those with chronic illness are more likely to experience heat-related sicknesses, which occur when the body cannot release heat through sweat, causing high body temperatures.
High body temperatures can damage organs and cause heat cramps, heat exhaustion or heat stroke. To prevent such problems, the Kearny Health Department recommends that residents:
• Dress for the heat, and use a hat or umbrella to block the sun.
• Drink plenty of water, and avoid alcoholic beverages and caffeine.
• Eat small meals, and eat more often.
• Stay indoors with air-conditioning when possible.
• Take regular breaks when physically active.