HCPO: Harrison cop pulls car over, gets hit, then fires at fleeing driver


The Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office is investigating a service-related gun discharge after a police officer in Harrison was struck by a car he’d pulled over.

On Tuesday, June 6, at approximately 4:20 a.m., a Harrison police officer made a motor-vehicle stop in the area of Jersey and South 7th streets in Harrison. The vehicle stopped and as the officer initiated contact with the driver of the vehicle, the driver drove away, striking and injuring the officer, the prosecutor’s office said.

The officer discharged his service weapon during the incident.

The injured officer was taken by Emergency Medical Services to St. Michael’s Medical Center in Newark, where he was treated for minor injuries and released.

Pursuant to Attorney General guidelines, the Office of the Hudson County Prosecutor has taken over the investigation from the Harrison Police Department because of the discharge, and the Prosecutor’s Internal Affairs Unit is in the early stages of the investigation.

No arrests have been made at present.

Anyone with video or information about this incident is asked to contact the Office of the Hudson County Prosecutor at 201-915-1345 or to leave an anonymous tip on the Hudson County Prosecutor’s official website at www.hudsoncountyprosecutorsofficenj.org/homicide-tip/. All information will be kept confidential.

Check back with The Observer for more details on this developing story.

Kevin Canessa | Journalist & Webmaster

Kevin Canessa Jr. is a journalist and webmaster at The Observer. He is responsible for the editorial content on the newspaper’s website, the production of the e-Edition, covering the Nutley Police Department and more behind the scenes. From 2006 to 2008, he served as the editor of The Observer, where he introduced the newspaper to its first-ever blog — which included podcasts, audio and video for the very first time. Originally from Jersey City, Kevin lived in Kearny until 2004, lived in Port St. Lucie. Fla., for four years until February 2016 and in 2016, moved back to Kearny to return to The Observer full time. Click Here to send Kevin an email.