Bloomfield Public Library, 90 Broad St., announces the following events:
- Shirl Knobloch, author of “The Returning Ones, A Medium’s Memoirs,” will discuss hauntings and related topics on Saturday, Oct. 25, at 2 p.m.
- A Halloween blood drive is slated for Oct. 31, from noon to 4 p.m. All donors must present signed ID, know their social security number and weigh at least 120. For more information, call 973-676-4700, ext. 144.
Borough Council urges residents to sign up for free breast and prostate cancer screenings by filling out an eligibility form at the Municipal Building, 34 Sherman Ave., on Mondays and Wednesdays, between 5 and 7 p.m. Screenings are open to women ages 35 and 64 for mammography, women ages 21 and 64 for pap smear and men ages 50 and 64 for prostate/colon screenings. Eligible participants must have no insurance or indicate that their current insurance will not pay for these screenings. Income limits vary with the degree of insurance, so those with limited or no insurance are advised to fill out an initial eligibility form.
The Women’s Social Club of the Harrison/East Newark Elks Lodge sponsors a bus ride to Caesar’s Casino, Atlantic City, Sunday, Oct. 26. Cost is $30 with a $25 slot bet in return. A bus leaves from the lodge, 406 Harrison Ave., at 10 a.m. For reservations, call Shirley at 973-483-6451. Participants must pay in advance.
Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate/Coccia Realty sponsors a coat drive, through Nov. 15, at its Kearny, Lyndhurst and Rutherford offices. Coats will be distributed to the less fortunate in the area. Drop off gently used or new coats between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. weekdays or 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. weekends at any of these participating offices: 636 Kearny Ave., Kearny; 273 Ridge Road, Lyndhurst; or 11 Park Ave., Rutherford. For more information, call Randy Wine at 201-939-0001.
The Presbyterian Boys-Girls Club, 663 Kearny Ave., holds its annual Halloween dance on Friday, Oct. 24, from 7 to 10 p.m. Guests are restricted to teenagers. Costumes are optional.
Kearny Public Library, 318 Kearny Ave., hosts Tempest Storybook Theatre, an interactive story and craft program, open to all ages, celebrating the books of Bernard Waber, Saturday, Oct. 25, at 10 a.m. Admission is free. Space is limited. To reserve a spot, call 201-998-2666.
First Presbyterian Church of Arlington, 663 Kearny Ave., will hold its annual fair on Saturday, Nov. 1, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Enjoy a bake table, tricky tray, Christmas crafts and more. Lunch will be served from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Raffle drawings are at 4 p.m.
First Baptist Church of Arlington, 650 Kearny Ave., holds a free clothing giveaway on Saturday, Nov. 1, from 9 a.m. to noon.
The church holds worship services Sundays at 11 a.m. with Spanish worship at 5 p.m. and Bible study on Fridays at 8 p.m.
Trinity Church, 575 Kearny Ave., will hold its monthly flea market on Nov. 8. Refreshments are available. Vendors are invited. Tables are one for $15 and two for $25. Call the church at 201-991-5894 to schedule your table or call Annamarie at 201-998-2360 after 5:30 p.m. Walk-in vendors are welcome.
The Rosary Society of Our Lady of Sorrows Church, 136 Davis Ave., sponsors an Oktoberfest, with live music and food, Friday, Oct. 24, in the church basement. (BYOB). Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Admission is $25. For tickets, call 201-991-2808 or 201-998-4616.
A Doggie Halloween Parade and Festival, sponsored by the Kearny Urban Enterprise Zone program, is set for Saturday, Oct. 25, 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., at Arlington Depot Park, off Midland Ave., between Forest and Elm Sts. Owners can register their dogs for a costume contest by providing a current dog license and proof of rabies vaccine. Registration forms are available at www.kearnynj.org, the KUEZ office at 410 Kearny Ave., or K-9 corner, 169 Midland Ave. For more information, call 201-955-7985 or email Halloweenpawrade@kearnynj. org. All dogs, either attending or participating, must be leashed.
Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 3549, 527 Valley Brook Ave., hosts karaoke on Friday, Oct. 24, at 7:30 p.m. The post hall is available for all occasions. For more information, call 201-939-3080.
ShopRite of Lyndhurst, an Inserra Supermarkets store, 540 New York Ave., hosts the following free programs, each led by in-store registered dietician Julie Harrington. Advance registration is not required, unless otherwise noted. For more information or to preregister for a program, contact Harrington at 201-419-9154 or email Julie.harrington@ wakefern.com. ShopRite’s retail dietitians can serve as guest speakers/instructors at wellness events hosted by local organizations. Here are the upcoming events:
- Scary Facts about Sugar are shared at the Dietitian’s Corner Thursday, Oct. 23, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- High Fiber Friday at the Dietitian’s Corner explains how to meet your fiber requirements Fridays, Oct. 24 and 31, noon to 2 p.m.
- Soups and Stocks Cooking Class offers tips on how to make a tasty stock and a new soup recipe Tuesday, Oct. 28, 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. Pre-registration is required.
Lyndhurst Garden Club welcomes North Arlington florist Dennis McSweeney to its meeting on Monday, Oct. 27, at the Senior Citizen Building on Cleveland Ave. at 7 p.m. McSweeney will demonstrate seasonal floral arrangements. There will also be raffles and refreshments. Prospective members are welcome. For more information, call 201-939- 0033.
Lyndhurst Public Library, 353 Valley Brook Ave., hosts the following events:
- Children ages 3 to 10 meet “Belinda Bumble Bee” author Jennifer Katafigotis Wednesday, Oct. 22, 4 to 4:30 p.m.
- Kids in kindergarten to grade 4 can make a Halloween craft Monday, Oct. 27, 3:30 to 4:15 p.m.
- Kids in pre-k to grade 3 will step off in a Halloween Parade Friday, Oct. 31, at 3:30 p.m.
- Book Club discusses “The Body in the Library” by Agatha Christie Wednesday, Nov. 12, at 6:30 p.m. Call the library at 201-804-2478, ext. 7, for more information and to obtain a copy of the book. Space is limited.
Registration is required for all of these events. To register, call the library at 201-804-2478.
Lyndhurst American Legion Post 139 Rehabilitation Committee holds a ward party for veterans at Chestnut Hill Extended Care Facility, Passaic, on Tuesday, Oct. 28, at 2:30 p.m. The event is sponsored by John and Marilyn Faziola in memory of Marilyn’s brother Marine L/Cpl. Frank Lopinto, who was killed in action in Vietnam, and Marilyn’s parents Eugene and Madelyn Lopinto. Post members will play games of chance with hospitalized veterans and distribute treats to them. Anyone interested in sponsoring a ward party is invited to call 201-438-2255.
Queen of Peace Church in North Arlington will celebrate Priest Appreciation Sunday, Oct. 26, 1 to 3 p.m. Call 201-997- 0700 for more information.
North Arlington Recreation Department’s Halloween costume parade and Trunk or Treat celebration is set for Oct. 30. Participants will assemble in the Boston Market parking lot at Ridge Road and Bergen Ave. at 6 p.m. The parade will kick off at 6:30 p.m. and will end behind North Arlington High School, where the Trunk or Treat celebration will begin.
Donations of candy or snacks are welcome. Parents are asked to bring canned food that the Recreation Department is collecting for the local food pantry.
For more information, call Recreation Director Michele Stirone at 201-852-0119.
North Arlington Public Library, 210 Ridge Road, offers the following programs:
- Lego Club, for grades 1 and up, meets Oct. 28 at 6:30 p.m.
- Halloween Story Time, for ages 5 to 7, meets Monday, Oct. 27, at 6 p.m.
- Comics Club, for grades 6 and up, meets Wednesday, Oct. 29, at 3:30 p.m.
- Computer Basics class is slated for Mondays in November from 6 to 7 p.m.
- A representative of the Newark Museum presents an overview of the museum’s vast decorative arts collection Thursday, Oct. 23, at 6 p.m.
For more information, call the library at 201-955-5640. Registration is required, unless otherwise noted.
North Arlington Woman’s Club sponsors a beefsteak fundraiser Friday, Oct. 24, 7 to 11 p.m., at the Knights of Columbus hall, 194 River Road. Tickets are $40. Proceeds benefit various local charities. For tickets and more information, call Christine at 201-577-1088 or Fran Sardoni at 973-818- 6421.
Nutley Public Library, 93 Booth Drive, offers the following programs:
- Cook-with-a-Book Reading Club. for grades 4 to 6, meets Friday, Oct. 24, at 3:30 p.m. The group will discuss a book and cook up something fun to eat. Registration is required.
- Halloween Costume Party is slated for Monday, Oct.27, at 6:30 p.m. Registration is required.
- Teen Zombie Night, open to grades 7 to 12, will be held on Tuesday, Oct. 28, at 6:30 p.m. This event includes zombie costume contest, pizza, games and a movie.
- Pumpkin Painting, with pumpkins and supplies provided, is scheduled for Thursday, Oct. 30, at 10:30 a.m. Wear an old T-shirt and bring a box to take your pumpkin home. This is open only to Nutley residents with library card. Registration is required.
For more information, call 973-667-0405.