Nutley PD has labeled the death of a 49-yearold Washington Ave. man initially discovered unresponsive at his home as a suicide.
He was pronounced dead on Jan. 15 – the same day that police found the lifeless bodies of a man and woman in a Hillside Ave. residence – fatalities that police categorized as a murder-suicide. In the first incident, police said they responded to a 911 call relayed by Bergen County Police at 10:25 p.m. Jan. 13 regarding a serious injury to a resident in his home at the north end of Washington Ave.
Police said the man was unconscious and suffering from head trauma. The man was transported by Nutley Rescue to St. Joseph’s Hospital, Paterson, where he was pronounced dead two days later.
Police said detectives called to the scene on Jan. 13 to investigate concluded that the man’s injury was a result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
According to Det. Sgt. Anthony Montanari, an examination by the county medical examiner’s office revealed that a single round of a “larger caliber” bullet had been fired into the victim’s head and that a weapon he described as “a home-made gun, made from a section of pipe” was recovered from the scene.
“We’re still investigating where [the weapon] came from,” Montanari said. The bullet has been sent for ballistics testing, he added.
Asked if the victim was alone at the time of the incident, Montanari said that, “There were other occupants – two family members and one friend – all adults.” It is believed one of them made the 911 call, he said. As of press time, police were withholding the identity of the victim.
In another incident, police have charged a Florida man for allegedly performing a lewd act in front of students leaving the John H. Walker Middle School on Franklin Ave. last Thursday, Jan. 22.
Police said officers responded to a call from a concerned parent at 2:50 p.m. reporting that as the school was dismissing students for the day, several students had observed a man sitting in a parked SUV performing a sexual act on himself.
After getting a description of the man, police said detectives were able to come up with a likely identity of the suspect as Jack Faria, 64, and managed to locate him in Nutley.
Faria was charged with two counts of criminal sexual conduct and he was released, pending a court date, after posting bail.
Police Chief Thomas Strumolo commended all those involved in the investigation with their quick apprehension in a case involving potential risk to children.
Mayor/Public Safety Commissioner Alphonse Petracco reiterated that, “There is no greater concern than the safety of the residents in this town, particularly our children. I want every parent who allows their child to walk to and from school to be assured that anyone looking to exploit our children will be identified, arrested and prosecuted.”
In other matters logged by Nutley PD between Jan. 17 and 23, police responded to 48 medical calls, 30 motor vehicle accidents and these incidents:
Police responded to a Gless Ave. location on a report of the theft of a $250 extension ladder from a homeowner’s rear yard and the chain securing it to a pole. The homeowner told officers that the rubber weather stripping around their vehicle’s rear window had been disturbed but that nothing was apparently taken from inside the house.
A Barringer Drive resident reported that during the night, someone entered their unlocked vehicle and removed a $40 phone charger, a set of keys and an unknown amount of loose change.
A Hartford Drive resident reported their car stolen.
Police pulled over a driver known to have a suspended license traveling on Myrtle Ave. and arrested Nicole Bosco, 36, of Nutley. Police said a search of Bosco revealed drugs, paraphernalia and a bag with suspected cocaine residue inside. Bosco also had two active warrants from Nutley and Clifton. She was charged with possession of CDS and three counts of possession of drug paraphernalia and ticketed for driving while suspended and possession of CDS in a motor vehicle. Bosco was released after posting bail, pending court dates.
A Myrtle Ave. homeowner reported an attempted burglary. Police said the owner told them that upon returning home, they found the molding on their door bent and police said they observed pry marks on the door. Nothing was reported missing. Detectives are investigating.
Responding to calls about “suspicious activity” at Nicola Place and Hagert St., police said they observed three individuals walking quickly away from the area. Police said they chased them to an abandoned property at Hancox and Washington Aves. where they grabbed two juveniles. The third person got away but dropped his wallet, police said. The juveniles were turned over to their parents. Police said Jesse Elsmore, 18, of Nutley, came to HQ to retrieve his wallet and was charged with obstruction.
After getting calls about individuals riding All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs) on Radcliffe School property and the adjacent pipeline property, police went to the location where they observed two men riding ATVs on school grounds. Police impounded both vehicles and charged Matthew Apito, 18, and Christopher Juliano, 19, both of Nutley, with criminal mischief. Both received summonses for driving an ATV on private property without consent and failure to produce valid registration and insurance. Both were released pending court appearances.
After observing a driver allegedly go through a stop sign on Kingsland Ave. and then pull into a parking lot and behind a building on Franklin Ave., police said they approached the vehicle and saw the driver crouching down to hide. After talking with him, police issued Michael Seibel, 25, of Garfield, summonses for disregard of stop sign and DWI and released him pending a court date.
– Ron Leir