The caption accompanying the old photo reads: ‘Eagle Hose Company No. 3 fi re trucks, 1940s, North Arlington.’ We believe they are fire engines, not trucks — yes, there is a difference — but we might be wrong. In any case, they are pretty nifty-looking vehicles, especially the one with the stylish whitewall tires. As noted in ‘A Place in History’ by Merritt Ierley, Eagle Hose was organized in 1922, the third company of the North Arlington Volunteer Fire Department. It joined Schuyler Engine Co. No. 2 (formed in 1916) and the community’s first fire unit, Hendel Hose Co. No. 1, which was launched in 1910 after the Borough Council adopted an ordinance establishing the Fire Department. That inaugural Hose Co. No. 1, Ierley writes, ‘had to acquire its own equipment — two well-used pumpers and some hose purchased for $50 from the Kearny Fire Department with the proceeds of dances, raffles and carnivals.’ Currently, the North Arlington Volunteer Fire Department has 85 members, 35 of which are assigned to Eagle Hose No. 3, which is still located behind the Borough Hall on Legion Place east of Ridge Road.
– Karen Zautyk