Belleville Irish American Association sponsors a trip to Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard, Boston and Mohegan Sun Casino, June 2-6. Cost is $485. For an itinerary or more information, call Pat at 973-751-5308 or email email@example.com.
New Jersey Women Business Owners (NJAWBO) hosts its annual Diversity Luncheon Tuesday, May 20, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Nanina’s in the Park, 540 Mill St. This year’s theme is “Communicating Across Differences.”
To reserve a seat, register online at www.whoscoming.com/ njawbo-region2 or contact the NJAWBO State Office at 609- 308-2530. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. and for more about NJAWBO MetroEast, visit www.njawbometroeast.org.
For more information, contact Deb Martin at deb4426@ me.com or 973-953-7768 or Suzanne Buggé at Suzanne@ AFocusedAdvantage.com or 973-951-6258.
Belleville UNICO sponsors a bus ride fundraiser to the Taj Mahal in Atlantic City on Sunday, May 4. A donation of $30 prepaid or $35 at the door is requested. Before departure at 8:50 a.m., a continental breakfast will be served at 8 a.m. at the Belleville Senior Citizens Center, 125 Franklin Ave. Call 973-759-9259 ASAP to reserve seats. No last minute cancellations are permitted. Mail checks, payable to Belleville UNICO, to: Gene Antonio, 436 Joralemon St., Belleville, N.J. 07109.
Bloomfield Public Library, 90 Broad St., offers these children’s programs:
• Toddler Storytime: Tuesdays and Fridays at 11 a.m. for ages 18 months to 3. No registration required.
• Preschool Storytime: Wednesdays at 11 a.m. for ages 3 to 5. No registration required.
• Spanish Storytime: Alternate Mondays at 11 a.m. for ages 2 to 5. Check the calendar for dates. No registration required.
• Science Fridays: Alternate Fridays at 4 p.m. for children in kindergarten and up. Check the calendar for dates. No registration required.
New children’s programs are added frequently. Check the online calendar at www.bplnj.org/ programs.html or call 973-566- 6200, ext. 507, for information.
The library offers these adult programs:
• Financial Book Club and Workshops – Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. – beginners welcome.
• Neighbors Helping Neighbors – job hunting support group – Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. The library Board of Trustees meets the first Wednesday of every month at 5:30 p.m. Meetings are open to the public.
Oakeside Bloomfield Cultural Center, 240 Belleville Ave., hosts a Tricky Tray fundraiser on Friday, May 9, at 6:30 p.m. Tickets, available only in advance, are $25. To purchase tickets, call 973-429-0960.
Presbyterian Boys-Girls Club, 663 Kearny Ave., hosts the East Coast Professional Wrestlers on Friday, May 2, at 7:30 p.m.
Five Kearny natives will be featured on the card: Mike Rocky Jones, Kyle Jason Cage Durkin, Izzy XIZ Arboleda, Daniel Draven West Trzepla and Jonathan Rodriguez as Big Bad Jon.
The feature match will be the ECPW heavyweight championship Andrew Anderson vs. Mike Capp, plus Hassan Azi as Sunnykiss, Timmy Plasma, The Creeper and more. Advance tickets are $12 at the Sunset Deli, 680 Kearny Ave., or Big Nick’s Pizza, 72 Davis Ave. Or, call Tom Fraser at 201-991-6734.
Kearny High School PTA is sponsoring a clothing drive May 10, from 9 a.m. to noon, at the school. Use the King Street entrance. Curtains, blankets, clothing, belts, shoes, pocketbooks and stuffed animals will be accepted. Bring your items in a bag. For more information, call Denise at 201-428-8572.
The Rosary Society of Our Lady of Sorrows Church, 136 Davis Ave., meets May 1 at 7 p.m. in the church hall. The Rev. John Wassell, church administrator, will speak.
Kearny UNICO sponsors a Super 50-50 Raffle to be drawn May 15. Tickets are $5 each or three tickets for $10. To purchase a ticket, contact any member of Kearny UNICO or chapter President Lou Pandolfi at 201-368-2409.
Lyndhurst Library Children’s Room, 355 Valley Brook Ave., hosts:
• Registration May 1 to June 14 for the summer reading program, celebrating science, “Fizz, Boom Read,” open to grades pre-k to 6. Activities may include science experiments, robot building, nature explorations and more.
For more information, call the library at 201-804-2480 ext 3 or visit http://www.lyndhurstlibrary.org/.
• Mother’s Day craft for grades 1 to 4 on Monday, May 7, from 3:30 to 4:15 p.m.
The N.J. Meadowlands Commission announces:
• Free two-hour nature walks on Sunday, May 4. An Early- Birder special walk starts at 8 a.m. and the First-Sundayof- the-Month walk begins at 10 a.m. Both walks start at the entrance to Losen Slote Creek Park in Little Ferry. Check meadowblog.net for last-minute weather updates. Participants are asked to sign a standard liability release for these events that is good for events throughout the year.
• Sixth Annual Mother’s Day walk on Sunday, May 11, at 10 a.m. The free two-hour event begins at the Ridgefield Nature Center in Ridgefield and features a walk around the 5.4-acre natural area (once the home of the Great Bear Bottled Water Co.), and a visit to Skeetkill Creek Marsh in Ridgefield, with a stop to see Monk Parakeets on the way.
These walks are run by the New Jersey Meadowlands Commission and the Bergen County Audubon Society. Check meadowblog.net for last-minute weather updates. To register, contact Don Torino of the BCAS at greatauk4@aol. com or 201-230-4983.
Lyndhurst Health Department, 601 Riverside Avenue, Suite 1, hosts a free eye screening by Dr. John Favetta on Wednesday, May 7, at 10 a.m. He will test for vision acuity, visual field and glaucoma. Call for an appointment.
A senior health fair will be held at the Health Department Friday, May 9, from 9 to 11:30 a.m. This event will offer free screenings, free promotional items and opportunities to learn about estate planning, long-term care planning, and Medicare fraud. For more information, call 201-804-2500.
A free chair yoga session will be held after the fair.
American Legion Alexander Stover Post 37 meets Monday, May 5 at 8 p.m. at NAFD Engine Co. No. 2, 559 Schuyler Ave. All veterans are invited.
North Arlington Public Library, 210 Ridge Rd., announces the following events:
• Are you a Bruce Springsteen fan? Learn a little bit about photography, the Boss and the Garden State from Debra Rothenberg, the photojournalist behind the book: “Bruce Springsteen In Focus 1980-2012” on Thursday, May 8, at 6:30 p.m.
• Spring Fundraiser for the Friends of the Library – Coins for a Cause – on Saturday, May 10, from 9 a.m. to noon, at the Lyndhurst branch of the Boiling Springs Savings Bank, 753 Ridge Rd.
• SAT Practice Test- Kaplan – Saturday, May 17, from 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. Sign up via this link: http://www.formstack.com/ forms/?1686851-DWur9MjZPt.
Students must attend North Arlington High School or reside in North Arlington to sign up.
The library will close at the regularly scheduled time: 1 p.m. There will be no library services after that time; the library is only open for registered students taking the practice test.
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, 120 Prospect St., hosts a Home-made Pasta Dinner Saturday, May 3, at 6 p.m. Tickets are $10 for adults, and $6 for children ages 12 and younger. Visit the rectory to purchase tickets. All proceeds benefit the church’s CCD program.