Fire empties fast food business

LYNDHURST – 

A fire erupted at a fast food eatery in Lyndhurst over the weekend, according to the Lyndhurst Police Department.

At 10:43 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 21, the Lyndhurst Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to the Burger King, 2 Park Ave., just off Valley Brook Ave., on a report of fire.

Police Capt. John Valente said that the Fire Department extinguished a grease fire in the kitchen of the establishment which was closed during the fire.

Valente said the Fire Department determined that the cause of the fire was an electrical surge to the business, causing a malfunction in the fryer.

“The oil in the fryer became superheated and boiled over the sides of the container and were ignited by the heating element,” Valente said.

No injuries were reported.

As of Monday, the township Health Department reported that work crews were still in the process of cleaning up damage from the fire and hoped to reopen by Tuesday, Feb. 24.

– Ron Leir 

The Observer Staff