web analytics
Google+

At 125, LFD is still going strong

From bucket brigades to state-of-the-art rigs

Photo by Karen Zautyk This 1920 American LaFrance pumper is a prized part of the Lyndhurst volunteer firefighters’ history.

By Karen Zautyk

LYNDHURST –

Back in 1886, when this town (then called Union Township) was, in the words of current Fire Chief Robert Wartel, “all barns and farms,” a historic decision was made.
As former Chief Richard Lindsay put it at ceremonies Saturday, in that year, “a few brave men took it upon themselves to start a Fire Department.” Which was no easy thing.
Not only did the nascent department, under the direction of its first chief, John Travers, have to provide training and equipment, it also had the basic and eternal need of firefighters everywhere: water. But there were no hydrants or hoses to provide it. Firefighting in those days depended on bucket brigades.

To read the full story, see this week’s issue of The Observer.

 

 


Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.