web analytics

1 occupant hurt in Devon St. fire

KEARNY –

A fire on Thanksgiving night gutted the kitchen in an apartment at 564 Devon St., but firefighters contained the blaze before it could spread to the rest of the six-family home, authorities reported.

Kearny Fire Chief Steve Dyl said the fire, which he described as “cooking-related,” was reported at 7:40 p.m. in a second-floor apartment. The kitchen was “destroyed,” he said, and there was smoke and water damage to the rest of that apartment, but the damage was reportedly limited to the one unit.

Dyl said one female occupant suffered “non-life-threatening injuries” and was taken to a hospital for treatment.

Tenants were allowed to reoccupy the building, the chief reported.

The Kearny Fire Department was assisted at the scene by firefighters from Harrison, and the Jersey City FD provided back-up coverage for the town.

– Karen Zautyk

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.