From bucket brigades to state-of-the-art rigs
By Karen Zautyk
Back in 1886, when this town (then called Union Township) was, in the words of current Fire Chief Robert Wartel, “all barns and farms,” a historic decision was made.
As former Chief Richard Lindsay put it at ceremonies Saturday, in that year, “a few brave men took it upon themselves to start a Fire Department.” Which was no easy thing.
Not only did the nascent department, under the direction of its first chief, John Travers, have to provide training and equipment, it also had the basic and eternal need of firefighters everywhere: water. But there were no hydrants or hoses to provide it. Firefighting in those days depended on bucket brigades.