The Kevin G. Kennedy Civic Association will hold its 22nd annual scholarship breakfast May 17 at 10 a.m. at The Chandelier, 340 Franklin Ave. This year’s citizen scholarships will be given in memory of Margaret Mary O’Boyle and Brian Pomponio in recognition of their love of community service and family ties. Tickets are $30. Send check or money order, payable to Kevin G. Kennedy Civic Association, 45 Hornblower Ave., Belleville, N.J. 07109. Call 973-759-0738 for ads or information.
St. Thomas the Apostle Home and School Association sponsors a tricky tray fundraiser Thursday, April 30, at Valley Regency, Clifton. The $50 admission includes dinner and an evening of extravaganza. Only adults age 21 and older are admitted. Send ticket payment to St. Thomas the Apostle School, 50 Byrd Ave., Bloomfield, N.J. 07003. This year’s theme is “Run for the Roses, Kentucky Derby.”
Holy Cross Church hosts an all class alumni reunion June 14, 1 to to 5 p.m. at Holy Cross School, 15 Frank E. Rodgers Blvd. Tickets are on sale now. Call the church rectory at 973-484-5678 or Donna at 973-568-1945. Cost is $20 for adults and $15 for seniors and children ages 6 to 12. Anyone with class photos is asked to call the church.
Kearny UNICO will hold these upcoming events:
- Flapjack Fundraiser is set for Saturday, May 2, 8 to 10 a.m., at Applebee’s, 175 Passaic Ave. Breakfast includes pancakes, sausage, scrambled eggs and a beverage. Admission is $10. For tickets, contact Judy at 201-991-5812. Proceeds benefit the chapter’s scholarship fund and other charities.
- The drawing for the Super 50-50 Raffle to benefit UNICO’s scholarship fund and other charities will be Thursday, May 7, at 8 p.m. at the American Legion hall. Raffle tickets are $1 each. To purchase a raffle ticket, contact Lou at 201-368-2409.
- A fundraising bus trip to Resorts Casino in Atlantic City will leave Sunday, May 17, at 8:30 a.m., from the parking lot of Kearny Bank, 614 Kearny Ave. Tickets are $30 with $25 dollars in slot play credit returned by the casino. For tickets, call Lou.
The deacons of First Presbyterian Church of Arlington, 663 Kearny Ave., host a fish and chips dinner Saturday, May 3, 5 to 7 p.m. Admission is $15 for adults; $8 for children under 12. Reservations are required. Call 201-991-3513 for reservations.
Kearny High School PTA presents a dance, featuring hits from the ‘60s, ‘70s and ‘80s, Saturday, May 2, at 7 p.m., at the Irish American Club, 95 Kearny Ave. Tickets are $20. Proceeds benefit the PTA scholarship fund. Purchase tickets at the door. For more information, email KearnyHighSchoolPTA@ yahoo.com or call Michelle at 201-998-0238 or Lisa at 386- 490-7719.
The Lyndhurst Health Department, 601 Riverside Ave., hosts these programs:
- A Clara Maass Breakfast Seminar, “Forget Me Not: an Alzheimer’s discussion,” is slated for Friday, May 8, at 10:30 a.m.
- A free skin cancer screening, open to all Lyndhurst residents ages 18 and over, is set for Monday, May 11, at 9:30 a.m.
Call 201-804-2500 to register for these programs.
The N.J. Sports & Exposition Authority co-sponsors a free two-hour Nature Walk with the Bergen County Audubon Society, starting at 9 a.m., Sunday, May 3, at the entrance to Losen Slote Creek Park in Little Ferry.
Check meadowblog.net for last-minute weather updates. Participants are asked to sign a standard liability release for this event that is good for NJSEA/BCAS events throughout the year. To register, contact Don Torino of the BCAS at greatauk@ gmail.com or 201-230-4983 or visit https://www.eventbrite. com/e/bonus-early-birderspecial-walk-with-the-njmcand- bcas-tickets-15164573648.
American Legion Alexander Stover Post 37, 222 River Road, meets Monday, May 4, at 8 p.m. All veterans are invited to attend. For more information, call 201-214-8253.
The Senior Harmony Club sponsors the following trips:
- Travel to Resorts Casino in Atlantic City Tuesday, May 12. Cost is $25. Nonmembers are welcome. Call Florence at 201-991-3173 for reservations or more information.
- Check out The Culinary Institute of Hyde Park, N.Y., Tuesday, May 19. Non-members are welcome. Call Anna for information and reservations at 201-939-2960.
Looking to spend a evening laughing so hard it hurts? Then come to Queen of Peace High School for its production of the Tony Award musical, “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” on Thursday, April 30; Friday, May 1; Saturday, May 2, at 8 p.m.; and Sunday, May 3, at 2 p.m.
For more information, visit www.qphs.org or call 201-998-8227. Tickets will be available at the door.
Nutley Public Library, 93 Booth Drive, has released its May events schedule.
For more information on any of these programs, call 973-667-0405.
- Two-Year-Old Story Time, open to ages 24 to 35 months, is set for Fridays, May 1, 8, 15, at 9:30 a.m. and 10:45 a.m. Participants must be Nutley residents. Registration is required.
- First Friday Films: “The Imitation Game,” Friday, May 1, at 2 p.m. A new film is shown the first Friday of each month. Check the library’s event calendar for a list of films.
- Minecraft for Kids, for ages 7 and up, is set for Monday, May 4, at 3:30 p.m. Kids should bring their own devices.
- Monday Night Book Club meets to discuss “The Middlesteins” by Jami Attenberg Monday, May 4, at 7 p.m. Copies of the book and its discussion guide are available at the library. This event is free and open to the public.
- P.J. Story Time, open to children of all ages and their caregivers, is set for Monday, May 4 and 11, at 7 p.m. Make yourself comfortable, put on your pajamas and meet in the Children’s Room. Registration is not required.
- Babygarten, open to ages 23 months and under, is set for Tuesdays, May 5 and 12, at 9:30 a.m. and 10:45 a.m. Registration is required. This is open only to Nutley residents.
- Patrons are invited to play Bridge at the library every Tuesday at 1 p.m. No registration is required.
- The Nutley Public Library Outreach Program hosts a monthly book discussion at the Nutley Parkside Apartments, 7 William St., the first Tuesday of each month. Residents will meet at the library at 1:30 p.m. and proceed with the librarian to the senior building. The book selections are the same as the Monday Night Book Club. The next meeting is May 5.
- Video Game Club for teens meets Tuesdays, May 5 and 19, at 3:15 p.m. No registration is required.
- Preschool Story Time, open to ages 3 to 5, is set for Wednesdays, May 6 and 13, at 9:30 a.m. and 10:45 a.m. Participants must be Nutley residents. Registration is required.
- Wednesday Afternoon Knitters meet weekly at 1 p.m. Both beginning and experienced knitters are welcome. Knitters are asked to bring their own supplies.
- Lego Club for Kids, open to grades 2 to 6, meets Thursday, May 7, at 3:30 p.m. Registration is required.
- Tuesday Night Graphic Novel Club meets May 12 at 7 p.m. Sample food from local eateries while discussing “Andre the Giant: Life and Legend” by Box Brown. Copies of the book are available at the library. Register online at nutleypubliclibrary.org/graphicnovelclub or by phone at 973-667-0405, ext. 2604.
The Women’s Auxiliary of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church sponsors a pilgrimage to the National Shrine of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in Middletown, N.Y., Thursday, May 14, leaving by bus from the church, 120 Prospect St., at 9:30 a.m. The day includes Mass, a hot lunch, a tour of the shrine, free time to visit the gift shop, private meditation, visiting outdoor shrines or relaxing. The $40 cost includes lunch and transportation. The group departs from the shrine at about 3:30 p.m. For more information or for reservations, call Linda at 973-661-0090.
The Historic Restoration Trust of Nutley hosts an Antique Road Show at the Kingsland Manor, Kingsland St. and Lakeside Drive, Saturday, May 16, 1 to 4 p.m. Jon Felz of RZM Fine Arts & Antiques Inc. is doing the show as a fundraiser for the Manor. RZM is a member of the New England Appraisers Association. Cost is $5 per item, with a limit of three items per appraisal. Those with additional items will be asked to get back in line. For further information, call 973- 661-3410 or email Kingsland- ManorRestorationTrust@ gmail.com.
The Nutley Chamber of Commerce hosts its 17th annual 5K Fun Run through the township May 3, beginning at 9 a.m. The event starts with registration, 7 to 8:30 a.m., at the Town Oval. Younger runners can participate in either the Short Sprint or the Fun Run, while more seasoned runners will line up for the 5K. Registration forms are available at the Chamber office, 172 Chestnut St.; the Municipal Building, the Nutley Public Library, Public Affairs Building, and the Parks & Recreation Building. For more information, visit http://nutleychamber. com/events/5k-fun-run/ or contact the Chamber at: 973-667-5300 or chamber@ nutleychamber.com.