By Ronald Leir
It looks like the empty corridors and classrooms of Holy Cross School will be filled once again by children during the coming school year.
But the youngsters expected to occupy the space won’t be the children of parishioners – they’ll be from Newark.
That city’s Lady Liberty Academy Charter School, which serves 471 students from kindergarten to grade 8, intends to lease the old Holy Cross building for at least the 2011-2012 school year.
Holy Cross School was closed in 2009 as part of a consolidation plan by the Archdiocese of Newark, but the local parish continues to use the building, which dates from 1915, for religious instruction classes on Sundays and for weeknight bingo.
In April 2010, the parish opened the doors for the latter part of the school year to accommodate students from Newark’s Wilson Ave. Elementary School, which had to find another space while undergoing an environmental cleanup.