News from the Nutley Police blotter

Nov. 21

Police received a report of a theft from a Passaic Ave. residence at 11:13 a.m. The resident told police someone had removed a package containing merchandise valued at about $50 from a stairwell. Detectives are investigating.

Nov. 20

A North Road resident called police at 6:31 p.m. to report that a man in his 60s with silver hair and driving a silver SUV type vehicle had stopped in front of their house to pick up four bags of leaves left at curbside. This was odd, the resident told police, because the man didn’t take any of their neighbors’ leaf bags. Police told the resident to call them if they saw the vehicle return.

At 6 p.m., police responded to a Raymond Ave. location on a report of criminal mischief. The resident told them their vehicle had been scratched – possibly “keyed’’ – on the driver’s door and the passenger side door while parked at a Franklin Ave. business.

At 8:47 a.m., police got a report that someone had stolen two truck batteries and five heavy duty extension cords from an E. Centre St. lot where trucks are parked overnight. The missing items were valued at more than $850.

At 10:43 a.m., a Bloomfield Ave. homeowner called police to report someone had deflated their vehicle’s tires, had removed a football helmet magnet and destroyed it, and pulled off the windshield wipers. Additionally, someone threw a small plastic pumpkin at their front door and scratched a second vehicle belonging to the homeowner.

While on patrol along Franklin Ave., at 2:45 a.m., police said they observed a vehicle with its headlights off. Questioning the driver, police said she had no license in her possession. And, they learned from headquarters, the driver had an outstanding warrant from Bloomfield. So, police issued Joy DiAntonio, 23, of Nutley, summonses charging failure to use headlights and refusal to exhibit license. She was released pending a court date.

Nov. 19

At 3:19 a.m., police were contacted by the Passaic County Sheriff’s Department and asked to pick up a driver found to have an active warrant from Nutley. After taking Sarah Marsh, 25, of Belleville, to headquarters, police said they found on Marsh, wrapped in paper, 79 glassine bags of suspected drugs stamped with “KIILLA SEASON.” Police said the bags were packaged in six bundles of 10 glassine bags and one bundle of nine glassine bags, with each bundle wrapped by a rubber band. After she was charged with possession of drugs and possession with intent to distribute drugs, Marsh was taken to the Essex County Jail after failing to post bail of $5,000 with a 10% cash option.

Nov. 17

At 7:27 p.m., police responded to a Harrison St. location on a report of a burglary/theft. The victim told police that after hearing their car alarm sounding, they ran to the vehicle and saw the rear windows shattered, probably by a rock found nearby, causing an estimated $800 in damages. Police said the center console had been opened and a set of keys were missing.

Police were called to a Park Ave. business at 8:42 a.m. on a report of criminal mischief. There, the building’s owners told them they’d heard a noise at about 11 p.m. but, looking out the second floor window, didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary. In the morning, however, they saw that both front windows had been broken, causing more than $500 in damages. It appeared that no one had entered the building, they told police.

Nov. 16

At 11:02 p.m., police said they stopped a silver GMC Envoy traveling the wrong way on William St. Police said the driver, Joseph Reid, 31, of Rutherford, was found to have an active warrant from North Arlington. He was also ticketed for driving with a suspended license. He was released after posting bail.

At 12:34 p.m., police responded to a Dodd St. location on a report of criminal mischief. A resident told police someone left three bags of dog waste hanging on their fence overnight.

A Franklin Ave. business owner called police at 9:04 a.m. on a report of theft. The owner told police that a woman asked to use the phone in the front of the store and was given permission – and privacy – to do so for about 10 minutes. The owner told police that when they returned to the front counter, the woman had left, reportedly taking $14 that had been left on the counter.

– Ron Leir

Learn more about the writer ...