Belleville Public Library and Information Center’s Children’s Room, 221 Washington Ave., is hosting a Hibernation Party on Saturday, Feb. 8, at 2 p.m. Celebrate this cozy time with a wintry craft, hot chocolate and other treats. Come in your pajamas and bring your favorite stuffed friend. For more information, call 973- 450-3434.
Belleville UNICO announces a bus ride fundraiser to the Taj Mahal on Sunday, Feb. 9, at 8 a.m. A $30 donation is requested (but participants receive a $35 voucher). The bus will leave from the Disabled Vets hall, 612 Mill St., at 8:50 a.m. To reserve seats, call 973-759-9259. Make checks payable to: IAOVC. Mail checks to: Gene Antonio, 436 Joralemon St., Belleville, N.J. 07109.
Bloomfield Public Library, 90 Broad St., hosts these programs:
• The documentary “Alice’s Ordinary People,” about Alice Tregay, an unsung heroine of the Civil Rights Movement, will be screened on Tuesday, Feb. 11, at 1 p.m. Director Craig Dudnick will take questions after the film. The 90-minute program is free. Call the Reference Desk at 973-566-6200, ext. 220, for reservations or information.
• A Valentine’s Day blood drive is slated for Feb. 14, from 1 to 4:30 p.m.
• The Sankofa Genealogy Group, which provides support for individuals who are researching their family history, meets Feb. 15 at 2 p.m. and will meet on the third Saturday of each month.
• Join Storytime and Craft, for all ages, on Saturday, Feb. 8, at 11 a.m., and Valentine craft, for all ages, at 1 p.m. No registration is required. In case of inclement weather, call 973-566-6200 to check for cancelations.
Arlington Woman’s Club meets on Feb. 11 at 1 p.m. at the Arlington Player’s Club, 12 Washington Pl. Peggy and Ed Bixler will speak about the Kearny Community Garden. For more information, call Moira Crowell at 201-997-2781.
Kearny UNICO meets on Thursday, Feb. 6, at 7:30 p.m. For more information about Kearny UNICO, contact Chapter President Lou Pandolfi at 201-368-2409. New members are welcome. Kearny UNICO is a member chapter of UNICO National, the largest Italian American service organization in the U.S.
The Ancient Order of Hibernians, Division 7, Hudson County, meets on the second Wednesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. at the Irish American Association, 95 Kearny Ave.
Good Shepherd Church, 780 Kearny Ave., will conduct a blood drive in conjunction with New Jersey Blood Services on Feb. 16 from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Kearny Public Library announces these free programs for children at the Main Library, 318 Kearny Ave., unless otherwise noted.
• Valentine Fun for preschool age children will take place from 11 a.m. to noon on Thursday, Feb. 13.
• Preschool Play and Story Time for ages 3 to 4 1/2 will take place on Tuesdays from 11 to 11:45 a.m. Another session is held on Thursdays from 11:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. No 11:45 a.m. class on Feb. 13.
• Baby Steps story time with play, music and bubbles is offered for ages up to 2 on Wednesdays from 10:30 to 11:15 a.m. No class on Feb. 12.
• A Pre-school Play and Story Time takes place at the Branch Library, 759 Kearny Ave., on Thursdays from 10:15 to 11 a.m. No class on Feb. 13.
The Great Backyard Bird Count Walk, co-hosted by the N.J. Meadowlands Commission and the Bergen County Audubon Society, will be held on Friday, Feb. 14, from 10 a.m. to noon. This free, guided nature walk starts at the entrance to the Mill Creek Marsh in Secaucus (directions are on meadowblog.net in the right-hand column). Check meadowblog.net for last-minute weather updates. Participants are asked to sign a standard liability release that is good for NJMC/BCAS events throughout the year. To R.S.V.P., contact Don Torino of the BCAS at greatauk4@aol. com or 201-230-4983.
Lyndhurst Health Department, 601 Riverside Ave., offers a free stroke prevention forum hosted by Clara Maass Medical Center on Friday, Feb. 21, at 10 a.m. Participants receive free blood pressure screenings and a light breakfast. Call the Health Department at 201-804-2500 to reserve a seat.
Lyndhurst Public Library, 355 Valley Brook Ave., hosts a Valentine craft session for children in grades 1 to 4 on Thursday, Feb. 13, from 3:30 to 4:15 p.m. Registration is required. Call the library at 201- 804-2478.
Lyndhurst Vetertans of Foreign Wars Post 3549, 527 Valley Brook Ave., hosts karaoke on Feb. 14, starting at 7:30 p.m. The VFW hall is available to rent for all occasions. For more information, call the post at 201-939-3080.
The Senior Harmony Club of North Arlington sponsors a trip to the Taj Mahal Casino on Tuesday, Feb. 11. The cost is $25. For more information, call Florence at 201-991-3173. All are welcome.
North Arlington Elks sponsors “Beef and Brew” on Friday, Feb. 7, at 7 p.m. Tickets are $30, which includes tossed salad, pasta, beef on toast, French fries, dessert, coffee, tea, beer, wine and soda. Tickets must be purchased in advance. For tickets, contact Chris Clune at 201-284-8582 or Cheryl Clune at 201-923-3268.
Nutley Public Library, 93 Booth Dr., announces the following programs:
• Story Times and programs for children are held at 9:30 a.m. and 10:45 a.m. on the following dates: Babygarten (for children up to 23 months) on Tuesdays, Feb. 11 and 25; Pre- School Story Time (for ages 3 to 5) on Wednesdays, Feb. 5, 12 and 26; and Two-Year-Old Story Time on Fridays, Feb. 7, 14 and 28. Registration is required and only township residents may participate.
• A Special Valentine’s Day PJ Story Time (open to all ages) will be held on Monday, Feb. 10, at 7 p.m.
• First Friday Films presents “Man of Steel” on Feb. 7 at 2 p.m. A new film is shown the first Friday of each month. Check the library’s event calendar for a schedule.
• Town Historian John Demmer, author of “Images of America—Nutley,” presents “Nutley in 1914” on Saturday, Feb. 8, at 2 p.m.
• Warm up on a cold February afternoon with a hot cup of coffee, some fresh Italian pastries, and the classic opera “La Traviata” on Saturday, Feb. 7, at 2 p.m. This 1982 production from the Metropolitan Opera House stars Placido Domingo and Teresa Stratas. Call 973-667-0405, ext. 2604, to register by Feb. 7.
For more information, call the library at 973-667-0405.
Nutley Parks & Recreation Department is accepting applications for the 2014 Nutley Girls Softball Program for girls in grades 1-8 and Travel Softball for grades 3-8. The Softball fee is $40; for Travel Softball, $60.
Try-outs are required for Travel Softball. Register online at nutleynj.my.govi.com/ recreation or pick up applications at the Rec Department, 44 Park Ave. Registration deadline for Softball is March 21; for Travel Softball, Feb. 28. For more information, call 973-284-4966.