Bloomfield Public Library, 90 Broad St., announces the following programs:
- The library presents its version of the traditional Italian legend of LaBefana with interactive storytelling, live musicians, singers and dancers, and more on Sunday, Jan. 11, at 2 p.m. Befana, like Santa Claus, delivers gifts to children on Epiphany Eve (Jan. 5). Children receive gifts from both Befana and Santa Claus. Reservations are required.
- Book Club meets Jan. 5 at 6:45 p.m. to discuss “Riders of the Purple Sage” by Zane Grey. • Midday Movies are screened Mondays and Thursdays at 12:15 p.m. Here’s January’s schedule: Jan. 5 – “Sunset Boulevard,” Jan. 8 – “The Giver”; Jan. 12 – “Million Dollar Arm,” Jan. 15 – “Selma, Lord, Selma,” Jan. 22 – “Chef,” Jan. 26 – “Winter’s Tale” and Jan. 29 – “Dolphin Tale.”
- Storytimes resume Jan. 12. Days and times will remain the same: Baby and Me, for ages up to 18 months, is offered on Thursdays at 11 a.m.; Toddler Time, open to ages 19 to 36 months, is held Tuesdays and Fridays at 11 a.m. Registration is not required unless otherwise noted. To register or for more information, call the library at 973- 566-6200.
Kearny UNICO is sponsoring a bus trip to the Tropicana Casino on Sunday, Jan. 25. The cost is $30 with $25 in slot play back from the casino. The trip leaves from American Legion Post 99, 314 Belgrove Drive, at 8:30 a.m. Refreshments will be served inside the hall beginning at 7:30 a.m. To purchase tickets or for more information, contact Chapter President Lou Pandolfi at either 201-368-2409 or lpandolfi@ verizon.net.
Kearny Public Library, 318 Kearny Ave., will screen the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (PG-13/101 mins.) on Friday, Jan. 2, at 2 p.m. Popcorn and light refreshments will be served. Admission is free. For more information on any of the library’s programs, call the library at 201-998-2666 or visit www.kearnylibrary.org.
West Hudson Arts and Theater, 65 Oakwood Ave., announces the following auditions: “Father of the Bride” on Monday and Tuesday, Jan. 5 and 6, 7 to 9 p.m. each night, and early bird auditions for the June production of “Grease” on Sunday, Jan. 11, 3 to 5 p.m. each day, and Monday, Jan. 12, 5 to 7 p.m. Visit www.whatco.org for more information.
The N.J. Meadowlands Commission hosts a New Year’s Day Nature Walk with the Bergen County Audubon Society at Mill Creek Marsh in Secaucus, Thursday, Jan. 1, 10 a.m. to noon. This event is free and open to all ages. To R.S.V.P., contact Don Torino of the BCAS at greatauk4@gmail. com or call 201-230-4983.
The NJMC’s First-Sunday-of- the Month Nature Walk with the BCAS is set for Sunday, Jan. 4, starting at the Meadowlands Environment Center at 10 a.m. (directions are on meadowblog.net in the left-hand column.) This free two-hour guided walk in DeKorte Park in Lyndhurst and nearby Disposal Road features raptors and waterfowl. Participants are asked to sign a standard liability release that is good for NJMC/ BCAS events throughout the year. To R.S.V.P., contact Don Torino of the BCAS at greatauk4@ gmail.com or 201-230- 4983.
Registration is recommended and appreciated. Lyndhurst Health Department announces:
- Flu vaccine is available for township residents. Call 201-804-2500 for an appointment. The CDC recommends that everyone ages 6 months and older receive a yearly flu vaccine.
- Rabies Clinics are set for Thursdays, Jan. 8 and 15, at the Community Center on Riverside Ave. (behind the Little League fields), 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Township residents can also license their dogs and cats at these clinics. Licensing deadline is Jan. 31. Call the Health Department for more information.
Sacred Heart Home-School Association, 620 Valley Brook Ave., hosts its annual Tricky Tray on Friday, Jan. 16. Tickets are $10. No one under age 18 will be admitted. Doors open at 6 p.m. Each ticket includes one sheet for first level prizes, coffee/tea and dessert. For tickets and information, call the school office at 201-939-4277 or Patty at 201-803-9580. Ticket deadline is Jan. 6. No tickets will be sold at the door.
Knights of Columbus Council 2396 sponsors a Tricky Tray Friday, Jan. 16, at the Senior Center, 250 Cleveland Ave. The $15 admission includes coffee plus one prize sheet of tickets. No alcohol is permitted. No tickets will be sold at the door. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. For tickets and more information, call Steve Cortese at 201-657-0800 or Sal Russo at 201-446-7244.
American Legion Alexander Stover Post 37 meets on Monday, Jan. 5, at 8 p.m. at the VFW hall, 222 River Road. For more information, call 201-214- 8253.