Highlights from the Nutley Police Blotter

May 30

At 4:47 p.m., police responded to a Vine St. residence where the owner showed officers a dent to their vehicle’s passenger back door and scratches along the bumper. The owner told police they’d been running errands in Nutley during the day, had parked in various locations, and didn’t notice the damage until returning home. Police were unable to determine how the damage was caused.

At 3:24 a.m., police received a fireworks complaint from a Valley Road location. One resident told police he believed someone was setting off the fireworks while hiding in the bushes at Radcliffe School. The alleged mischiefmaker was described as a tall, white man, wearing long pants. Another neighbor who griped about being awoken by the sound of fireworks told police they went outside to smoke but saw no one. Police searched the area but found no one matching the description.

May 29

A Conover Ave. resident called police at 11:41 a.m. to report hearing a loud noise, looking out the window and seeing the rear window of their vehicle shattered, causing an estimated $300 in damages. Police said a landscaping crew was cutting grass nearby but saw no stone near the vehicle which was towed to a mechanic for repairs.

May 28

At 10:20 a.m., police were dispatched to the upper field house at Rheinheimer Park on a report of a door open. At the scene, officers observed that the rear door of a storage shed, where rakes and shovels are kept, had been kicked in. The Recreation Department and Little League president were advised of the incident.

May 25

At 1:58 p.m., police went to a Franklin Ave. bar to investigate a report of a fight. Police said a dispute occurred between two patrons, resulting in one of them being assaulted with a knife, resulting in cuts to his head and leg. The victim was taken to an area hospital for treatment and released. Police arrested Anthony Campisi, 39, of Woodland Park, on charges of aggravated assault, terroristic threats, possession of a weapon and possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose. Campisi was released after posting $10,000 bail.

At 12:47 p.m., police responded to a call about a fallen tree at Chestnut Place. A resident told police they heard a noise and looked outside and saw that a township tree had toppled across Chestnut at the corner of Willow Place. Police said the tree fell on power wires but the wires remained intact. Police notified the township Shade Tree unit and Public Service Electric & Gas.

At 6:52 a.m., police were called to a Franklin Ave. business on a report of a broken window. The owner told police that when they came to work that morning, they discovered a large crack in the lower glass portion of the front door. However, after police checked the building for signs for forced entry, they said it appeared that no one had gotten inside.

— Ron Leir

Learn more about the writer ...