Rooming house fire confined to 1 unit


A fire that started in an unoccupied room at the Hudson House rooming house Sunday evening is under investigation by the Kearny Fire Department.

KPD Chief Steve Dyl said the one-alarm blaze broke out in the building at 348 Kearny Ave. shortly after 6 p.m. and was under control in 20 minutes. The fire was confined to the room in which it began.

Some 15 occupants of the rooming house were evacuated, but all but one were allowed to return. Dyl said a man who lived in the room directly below the fire scene was displaced for the night.

No injuries were reported.

– Karen Zautyk 

Learn more about the writer ...