Water main break causes road collapse, shuts down part of River Road in N.A.


A major water main break this morning that has caused part of River Road to collapse, leaving at least a six-foot crater, has businesses on the west side of the street closed, without water, until at least 3 this afternoon.

River Road between the Belleville Turnpike and Stevens Place is shut northbound until further notice.

The break occurred this morning before 7 a.m., and an alert from the North Arlington Police Department says the stretch could be closed for as long as 10 hours.

At 1 p.m. today, water department employees continue to work on replacing a ruptured pipe on River Road at Stevens Place. The pipe burst this morning, causing at least a six-foot deep crater at the foot of Stevens Place.

A few business owners told The Observer they were told by borough officials that water could be back and running in the area by 3 p.m., however.

“We’re opening at 3,” Robert DaSilva, the owner of Centanni, said. “They’re working on the pipes — they’ve been down there since 8 o’clock this morning.”

Businesses that rely on the water supply, from the Arlington Diner north to Corrado’s Market, are closed.

The cause of the break is not immediately known.

Check back with The Observer for continuing updates to this developing story.


Learn more about the writer ...

Editor & Broadcaster at 

Kevin A. Canessa Jr. is the editor of and broadcaster at The Observer, an organization he has served since 2006. He is responsible for the editorial content of the newspaper and website, the production of the e-Newspaper, writing several stories per week (including the weekly editorial), conducting live broadcasts on social media channels such as YouTube, Facebook, and X, including a weekly recap of the news — and much more behind the scenes. Between 2006 and 2008, he introduced the newspaper to its first-ever blog — which included podcasts, audio and video. Originally from Jersey City, Kevin lived in Kearny until 2004, lived in Port St. Lucie. Florida, for four years until February 2016 and in March of that year, he moved back to Kearny to return to The Observer full time. Click Here to send Kevin an email.