Lyndhrust PD catch man with loaded .380, drugs: Auteri

Beard LPD

A report of a suspicious person led police in Lyndhurst to find a loaded handgun as well as illegal drugs, Det. Lt. Vincent Auteri, of the Lyndhurst Police Department said.

On Friday, Dec. 3, at around 6 p.m., Officer Michael Walker was dispatched to the 200 block of Stuyvesant Avenue to investigate the report of a man, sitting alone, in the back seat of a parked car, Auteri said.

Upon arrival, Walker located the vehicle and confirmed there was a man, later identified as Jaquan Beard, 22, of Newark, sitting alone in the rear seat. Officer Walker, who at this point had been joined by Officer Michael LeStrange, Lt. Richard Holicki and Det. Chris Cuneo, was able to get Beard to exit the vehicle.

While speaking with Beard, the officers located the vehicle’s owner, who voluntarily gave consent to search it.

A loaded .380 handgun was recovered from the of the vehicle (it had been hidden.) Beard was then placed under arrest. During processing, it was determined Beard had 34 wax folds of heroin and a small amount of cocaine concealed on him.

Beard was charged with possession of a weapon for unlawful purposes, unlawful possession of a weapon, possession of cocaine, possession of heroin and distribution of heroin.

Beard was remanded to the Bergen County Jail.

Learn more about the writer ...

Editor & Broadcaster at 

Kevin A. Canessa Jr. is the editor of and broadcaster at The Observer, a place where he has served on and off since 2006. He is responsible for the editorial content of the newspaper and website, the production of the e-Newspaper, writing several stories per week (including the weekly editorial), conducting live broadcasts on Facebook Live, including a weekly recap of the news — and much more behind the scenes. Between 2006 and 2008, he introduced the newspaper to its first-ever blog — which included podcasts, audio and video. Originally from Jersey City, Kevin lived in Kearny until 2004, lived in Port St. Lucie. Florida, for four years until February 2016 and in March of that year, he moved back to West Hudson to return to The Observer full time. Click Here to send Kevin an email.