What happened today at Passaic & Webster in Kearny?

Approximate location of the incident today (Google Maps.)

Here’s a summary of what happened today in an incident at Webster and Passaic avenues.

According to Kearny Police Chief George King, at 8:45 a.m., Saturday, March 5, Kearny police officers were requested to check the welfare of a man inside a home near Webster and Passaic avenues.

Officers and a mental health screener from Jersey City Medical Center’s Mobile Crisis Unit attempted to contact the man, but unfortunately, the man barricaded himself within the home and refused help.

Information later aggregated from several sources indicated the man may have been experiencing a mental health crisis and may have displayed a shotgun.

With assistance from the Hudson County Regional SWAT Team, Kearny police officers secured a safety perimeter and communicated with the man from outside the home. Just before 3:45 p.m., the man peacefully emerged and was transported by EMS to a local hospital. No criminal charges are anticipated; however, officers were still at the scene investigating.

There were no injuries throughout the course of the long incident.

The Kearny Police Department recovered the reported shotgun.

“I thank local residents and motorists for their cooperation and patience while this situation was peacefully resolved,” King said.

Learn more about the writer ...

Kevin A. Canessa Jr. is the editor of and broadcaster at The Observer, a place where he has served on and off since 2006. He is responsible for the editorial content of the newspaper and website, the production of the e-Newspaper, writing several stories per week (including the weekly editorial), conducting live broadcasts on Facebook Live, including a weekly recap of the news — and much more behind the scenes. Between 2006 and 2008, he introduced the newspaper to its first-ever blog — which included podcasts, audio and video. Originally from Jersey City, Kevin lived in Kearny until 2004, lived in Port St. Lucie. Florida, for four years until February 2016 and in March of that year, he moved back to West Hudson to return to The Observer full time. Click Here to send Kevin an email.