HCSO: Arrest made in East Newark armed robbery

A juvenile who authorities believe was one of three boys responsible for an armed robbery in East Newark over the weekend has been arrested, according to a statement from Hudson County Sheriff Frank X. Schillari.

Schillari says on Sunday, May 12, the Hudson County Sheriff’s K9 Unit was contacted by the Harrison Police Department seeking assistance tracking a suspect who reportedly fled on foot after committing an armed robbery.

Two other suspects fled the scene in a stolen, black Honda Accord, striking an East Newark police vehicle along the way, the sheriff says.

The K9 unit deployed its Bloodhound and Patrol K9 teams to the scene and were able to successfully locate one of the suspects hiding under a porch in the backyard of a nearby residence.

That 17-year-old buy, a Newark resident, surrendered to authorities without incident, according to Schillari.

On Monday, May 12, the K9 unit returned to the area to help local authorities search for the handgun used in the robbery.

The K9 team located the weapon in the alleyway of a home in the area where the suspect reportedly fled on foot.

A source who said he was not authorized to speak about this case told The Observer the suspects in this armed robbery were also involved in a similar crime in Newark the same day.

Learn more about the writer ...

Editor & Broadcaster at 

Kevin A. Canessa Jr. is the editor of and broadcaster at The Observer, an organization he has served since 2006. He is responsible for the editorial content of the newspaper and website, the production of the e-Newspaper, writing several stories per week (including the weekly editorial), conducting live broadcasts on social media channels such as YouTube, Facebook, and X, including a weekly recap of the news — and much more behind the scenes. Between 2006 and 2008, he introduced the newspaper to its first-ever blog — which included podcasts, audio and video. Originally from Jersey City, Kevin lived in Kearny until 2004, lived in Port St. Lucie. Florida, for four years until February 2016 and in March of that year, he moved back to Kearny to return to The Observer full time. Click Here to send Kevin an email.