AG says it’s investigating police-involved shooting in Lyndhurst

The Attorney General’s Office says it is conducting an investigation into an apparent suicide by firearm that occurred during an encounter with police in Lyndhurst on Sunday, Oct. 24.

One man killed himself, but his identity is not being released at this time. No one else was injured, the AG’s office said.

According to the preliminary investigation, and the AG’s Office, the Lyndhurst Police Department received and responded to a phone call at approximately 8:07 a.m. requesting the police check the well-being of a man who lived on Post Avenue.

When a uniformed officer of the Lyndhurst Police Department arrived at the address, he reportedly encountered the resident, who was armed, in front of his house. The resident then fired at the officer. The officer subsequently fired his service weapon, but did not strike the resident.

The resident then apparently shot and killed himself on the sidewalk.

Emergency medical personnel rendered first aid and transported the resident to Clara Maass Medical Center, Belleville, where he was pronounced dead at approximately 8:28 a.m.

The ongoing investigation is being conducted by the Attorney General’s Office. All police-involved shootings in Jersey are investigated by the AG’s office.

No further information is being released at this time.

Learn more about the writer ...

Editor & Broadcaster at 

Kevin A. Canessa Jr. is the editor of and broadcaster at The Observer, a place where he has served on and off since 2006. He is responsible for the editorial content of the newspaper and website, the production of the e-Newspaper, writing several stories per week (including the weekly editorial), conducting live broadcasts on Facebook Live, including a weekly recap of the news — and much more behind the scenes. Between 2006 and 2008, he introduced the newspaper to its first-ever blog — which included podcasts, audio and video. Originally from Jersey City, Kevin lived in Kearny until 2004, lived in Port St. Lucie. Florida, for four years until February 2016 and in March of that year, he moved back to West Hudson to return to The Observer full time. Click Here to send Kevin an email.