Lyndhurst PD: Totowa man’s visit to town was anything but peaceful

A 51-year-old Totowa man was sent to hospital for treatment following his arrest by the Lyndhurst Police Department last week, Det. Lt. Vincent Auteri said.

According to Auteri:

The Lyndhurst PD, on Feb. 18 at around 8 p.m., responded to reports of a drunken driver traveling south on Ridge Road near Kingsland Avenue. Once in the area, Officers Anthony Giaquinto and Michael Carrino were able to locate the subject vehicle as it attempted to parallel park on Ridge Road near Summer Avenue.

Officer Carrino approached the driver, Paresh Ghandi, and was immediately able to determine he was impaired. Officer Giaquinto then observed what appeared to fresh damage to the vehicle’s front end.

Carrino, Giaquinto and Officer Matt Dudek uncovered a large quantity of numerous types of prescription drugs in the vehicle. The drugs were not labeled with the drug name of the rightful owner.

Gandhi failed field-sobriety tests at the scene and Officer Carrino placed him under arrest.

While at headquarters, Gandhi began to experience a medical episode and was subsequently transported to Hackensack University Medical Center, Hackensack, for medical evaluation, where he was ultimately admitted.

He was charged with six counts of illegally possessing a prescription legend drug. It is unclear whether Gandhi struck any vehicles during his travels to Lyndhurst.

Learn more about the writer ...

Kevin A. Canessa Jr. is the editor of and broadcaster at The Observer, a place where he has served on and off since 2006. He is responsible for the editorial content of the newspaper and website, the production of the e-Newspaper, writing several stories per week (including the weekly editorial), conducting live broadcasts on Facebook Live, including a weekly recap of the news — and much more behind the scenes. Between 2006 and 2008, he introduced the newspaper to its first-ever blog — which included podcasts, audio and video. Originally from Jersey City, Kevin lived in Kearny until 2004, lived in Port St. Lucie. Florida, for four years until February 2016 and in March of that year, he moved back to West Hudson to return to The Observer full time. Click Here to send Kevin an email.