Cardinal celebrates first Easter Mass with full attendance since 2019

For the first time since the COVID-19 pandemic started two years ago, Cardinal Joseph W. Tobin, archbishop of Newark, celebrated Easter Sunday Mass before a filled Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart in Newark.

While commemorating Jesus’s resurrection, Cardinal Tobin acknowledged today’s Catholics naturally would prefer to see tangible evidence of Christ’s power like the miracles Jesus performed for his contemporaries. But he said those who have faith without seeing are blessed.

Easter is the ideal time to reaffirm that faith, he said, much like Christ’s early followers did upon discovering his empty tomb.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

“Mary Magdala and her two seeking companions did not see what they wanted…but they would come to believe while always longing for more,” Cardinal Tobin said in his homily. “Their Easter is so like our own — experienced days of light, growth and still seeking all that we desire and hope for. Enjoy the not seeing, not being convinced yet believing. In short, enjoy entering into the belief of Jesus’s early friends as they lived his resurrection without seeing.”

The Easter Sunday Mass marked the conclusion of Holy Week, the Catholic Church’s most sacred time of year. It also marked the beginning of the Easter Season, which lasts for seven weeks and culminates Pentecost Sunday, the day the Holy Spirit descended upon Jesus’s Apostles and other followers.

All photos courtesy of Sean Quinn/


Learn more about the writer ...

Kevin A. Canessa Jr. is the editor of and broadcaster at The Observer, a place where he has served on and off since 2006. He is responsible for the editorial content of the newspaper and website, the production of the e-Newspaper, writing several stories per week (including the weekly editorial), conducting live broadcasts on Facebook Live, including a weekly recap of the news — and much more behind the scenes. Between 2006 and 2008, he introduced the newspaper to its first-ever blog — which included podcasts, audio and video. Originally from Jersey City, Kevin lived in Kearny until 2004, lived in Port St. Lucie. Florida, for four years until February 2016 and in March of that year, he moved back to West Hudson to return to The Observer full time. Click Here to send Kevin an email.