Guess what local bridge is slated to be closed this weekend?
We’re only kidding — we know you didn’t even need to guess.
The New Jersey Department of Transportation announced a full closure of the Route 7/Wittpenn Bridge between Jersey City and Kearny to adjust lift span machinery this weekend. Beginning at 5 a.m., Saturday, June 25 until 11 p.m., Sunday, June 26, NJDOT’s contractors, CCA Construction, is scheduled to close and detour Route 7 in both directions before the Wittpenn Bridge to make adjustments to the lift span on the new bridge. The following detours will be in place:
Route 7 eastbound detour
- Route 7 eastbound traffic will be directed to take the exit to Fish House Road southbound
- Fish House Road becomes Pennsylvania Avenue
- Turn left onto Central Avenue
- Take the ramp to Route 1&9 Truck north
- Bear left at the traffic signal at Communipaw Avenue to stay on Route 1&9 Truck
- Follow Route 1&9 Truck to Route 1&9
Route 1&9 southbound to Route 7 westbound detour
- Route 1&9 southbound traffic wishing to take Route 7 westbound over the Wittpenn Bridge will be directed to take the exit for Route 1&9 Truck southbound (also known as Charlotte Circle)
- Follow Route 1&9 Truck southbound to Communipaw Avenue were it bears right to the Hackensack River Bridge.
- Follow Route 1&9 Truck southbound across the Hackensack River Bridge
- Turn right onto Central Avenue north
- Turn right onto Pennsylvania Avenue, which becomes Fish House Road
- Follow Fish House Road to Route 7 westbound
Learn more about the writer ...
Kevin A. Canessa Jr. is the editor of and broadcaster at The Observer, a place where he has served on and off since 2006. He is responsible for the editorial content of the newspaper and website, the production of the e-Newspaper, writing several stories per week (including the weekly editorial), conducting live broadcasts on Facebook Live, including a weekly recap of the news — and much more behind the scenes. Between 2006 and 2008, he introduced the newspaper to its first-ever blog — which included podcasts, audio and video. Originally from Jersey City, Kevin lived in Kearny until 2004, lived in Port St. Lucie. Florida, for four years until February 2016 and in March of that year, he moved back to West Hudson to return to The Observer full time. Click Here to send Kevin an email.