Scammer: ‘Send me $2K or I’ll kill your dad’


A township man got the shock of his life when he got a phone call from a man threatening to kill his father if he didn’t send him $2,000 in cash via MoneyGram, but thanks to his quick thinking, and calm nature, he was able to determine, along with police, that it was all a scam.

Here’s how Nutley police said the Jan. 30 incident unfolded:

Police got a phone call from the victim and responded to his home.

The victim told police someone — an unknown man — called him and said the victim’s dad was involved in “an accident at an unknown gas station.” The caller said the victim’s father sustained serious head injuries.

At this point, the victim’s brother took over the phone call.

Then, the caller said “Do not call 9-1-1 or we will kill your father.”

Immediately thereafter, the caller said he was taking the father to Clifton — and that if they didn’t pay him $2,000 through MoneyGram, he’d shoot his dad.

Some time later, police, who were now on scene at the home where the phone call came in, said the two men’s dad arrived home safely, unharmed and unaware of what had unfolded.

The father said he hadn’t been in an accident — and wasn’t involved in any sort of dispute during the course of the day.

Police remind residents that calls like this one are often scams. If you get one, check on the welfare of the person in question and call 9-1-1 immediately. Never give out financial information and never send money through a wire service.

Learn more about the writer ...

Kevin A. Canessa Jr. is the editor of and broadcaster at The Observer, a place where he has served on and off since 2006. He is responsible for the editorial content of the newspaper and website, the production of the e-Newspaper, writing several stories per week (including the weekly editorial), conducting live broadcasts on Facebook Live, including a weekly recap of the news — and much more behind the scenes. Between 2006 and 2008, he introduced the newspaper to its first-ever blog — which included podcasts, audio and video. Originally from Jersey City, Kevin lived in Kearny until 2004, lived in Port St. Lucie. Florida, for four years until February 2016 and in March of that year, he moved back to West Hudson to return to The Observer full time. Click Here to send Kevin an email.