One firefighter injured in Lyndhurst blaze

A fire at the All Guard Fence Company on Gutheil Place, Lyndhurst, caused some damage, and one firefighter sustained a knee injury at the Nov. 21 blaze, Paul Haggerty, deputy commissioner  of the Lyndhurst Fire Department, said.
At 11:58 p.m. that night, the Lyndhurst Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire. Upon arrival, Second Assistant Chief Nicholas Haggerty confirmed a working fire, reporting visible fire from the attached garage area and roof line.
First Assistant Chief Robert Ferrara arrived on scene moments thereafter and assumed command. A F.A.S.T. Team was dispatched from the North Arlington Fire Department — Rescue 5. Engine 1 arrived on scene and aggressively knocked down the main body of fire with an 1 3/4” line while Truck 1 arrived and forced entry to the garage area overhead door and performed vertical ventilation.
Engine 3 then arrived, subsequently laying a supply line to Engine 1 from Ridge Road.
Rescue 4 detailed their crew to the roof to assist Truck 1 with the ventilation operation and later provided cascade services.
The fire was placed under control within 15 minutes, with extensive overhaul operations necessary due to several small deep pockets of fire that remained.
As a result of the blaze, one firefighter sustained a knee injury and was transported to Hackensack University Medical Center, Hackensack, for evaluation.
The fire was being investigated by the Lyndhurst Fire Prevention Bureau with the assistance of the Lyndhurst Police Criminal Investigations Division. Chief Matt Rodriguez commended all on scene for their aggressive fire attack and overall fire-ground operations.
Lyndhurst police patrol units evacuated second floor tenants of the attached structure as fire units were arriving.
No civilians were injured.

Learn more about the writer ...

Editor & Broadcaster at 

Kevin A. Canessa Jr. is the editor of and broadcaster at The Observer, a place where he has served on and off since 2006. He is responsible for the editorial content of the newspaper and website, the production of the e-Newspaper, writing several stories per week (including the weekly editorial), conducting live broadcasts on Facebook Live, including a weekly recap of the news — and much more behind the scenes. Between 2006 and 2008, he introduced the newspaper to its first-ever blog — which included podcasts, audio and video. Originally from Jersey City, Kevin lived in Kearny until 2004, lived in Port St. Lucie. Florida, for four years until February 2016 and in March of that year, he moved back to West Hudson to return to The Observer full time. Click Here to send Kevin an email.