The New Jersey Department of Transportation will close the Wittpenn Bridge between Jersey City and Kearny for demolition of the old bridge lift span and to test the new bridge lift span this weekend and next weekend.
The closures will be in effect beginning at 4 a.m., Saturday, May 7 (and 14) until 11 p.m. Sunday, May 8 (and 15).
The following detours will be in place:
Route 7 eastbound detour
- Route 7 eastbound traffic will be directed to take the exit to Fish House Road southbound
- Fish House Road becomes Pennsylvania Avenue
- Turn left onto Central Avenue
- Take the ramp to Route 1&9 Truck north
- Bear left at the traffic signal at Communipaw Avenue to stay on Route 1&9 Truck
- Follow Route 1&9 Truck to Route 1&9
Route 1&9 Southbound to Route 7 westbound detour
- Route 1&9 southbound traffic wishing to take Route 7 westbound over the Wittpenn Bridge will be directed to take the exit for Route 1&9 Truck southbound (also known as Charlotte Circle)
- Follow Route 1&9 Truck southbound across the Bridge over the Hackensack River
- Turn right onto Central Avenue north
- Turn right onto Pennsylvania Avenue, which becomes Fish House Road
- Follow Fish House Road to Route 7 westbound
Learn more about the writer ...
Kevin A. Canessa Jr. is the editor of and broadcaster at The Observer, a place where he has served on and off since 2006. He is responsible for the editorial content of the newspaper and website, the production of the e-Newspaper, writing several stories per week (including the weekly editorial), conducting live broadcasts on Facebook Live, including a weekly recap of the news — and much more behind the scenes. Between 2006 and 2008, he introduced the newspaper to its first-ever blog — which included podcasts, audio and video. Originally from Jersey City, Kevin lived in Kearny until 2004, lived in Port St. Lucie. Florida, for four years until February 2016 and in March of that year, he moved back to West Hudson to return to The Observer full time. Click Here to send Kevin an email.