Suspected car burglars nabbed: NPD


Nutley police have arrested and charged two — a 22-year-old man and a 17-year-old boy — after catching them prowling around parked cars, Det. Sgt. Anthony Montanari announced.

Police said they received a call from a resident reporting suspicious activity in the area of Chestnut St. and Franklin Ave. on Sept. 5. The caller reported hearing auto alarms then observed two people in a driveway at 5:23 in the morning.

When police arrived at the scene, they said they located the two and arrested them, charging them with possession of burglary tools and attempted burglary.

Taken into custody were Richard Gonzalez, 22, of Newark, and a 17-year-old Nutley boy. They were in possession of surgical gloves and it was believed they were attempting to enter parked vehicles.

Upon arrest, Gonzalez was also charged with possession of CDS and employing a juvenile to commit a crime and is being held on $75,000 bail at the Essex County Jail. The juvenile was released to the custody of his parents.

Mayor and Police Director Alphonse Petracco reminded residents not to leave their vehicles unlocked, particularly during the overnight or early morning hours when car burglars typically strike. He urged residents to take precautions and lock vehicles and remove valuables that are easily viewed through windows.

Learn more about the writer ...

Kevin A. Canessa Jr. is the editor of and broadcaster at The Observer, a place where he has served on and off since 2006. He is responsible for the editorial content of the newspaper and website, the production of the e-Newspaper, writing several stories per week (including the weekly editorial), conducting live broadcasts on Facebook Live, including a weekly recap of the news — and much more behind the scenes. Between 2006 and 2008, he introduced the newspaper to its first-ever blog — which included podcasts, audio and video. Originally from Jersey City, Kevin lived in Kearny until 2004, lived in Port St. Lucie. Florida, for four years until February 2016 and in March of that year, he moved back to West Hudson to return to The Observer full time. Click Here to send Kevin an email.