Man charged with sex crime: BCPO

A 35-year-old married Barnegat man has been arrested and charged with first-degree aggravated sexual assault and second-degree sexual assault following a joint investigation conducted by members of the Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office Special Victims Unit and the Lyndhurst Police Department, acting Bergen County Prosecutor Gubir S. Grewal announced last week.

Pedro A. Castillo-Valdes was taken into custody Wednesday, April 27, based on the joint investigation, the BCPO said.

The prosecutor gave the following account of what led to Castillo-Valdes’ arrest:

On Friday, April 22, a woman reportedly told the Lyndhurst PD that in the early hours of April 22, she was sexually assaulted in her home, while she was asleep, by a man who was her acquaintance. The LPD and the BCPO then performed an investigation jointly, and it was determined that it was Castillo-Valdes who allegedly sexually assaulted the victim — and who woke her up while it all happened.

Judge Christopher R. Kazlau, of the Bergen County Superior Court, set Castillo-Valdes’ bail at $100,000, with no 10% option.

Unable to post the bail, Kazlau remanded Castillo-Valdes to the Bergen County Jail, and ordered that if he eventually posts the bail, he is to have no contact with the victim or her family — and he most also surrender his passport.

Learn more about the writer ...

Editor & Broadcaster at 

Kevin A. Canessa Jr. is the editor of and broadcaster at The Observer, a place where he has served on and off since 2006. He is responsible for the editorial content of the newspaper and website, the production of the e-Newspaper, writing several stories per week (including the weekly editorial), conducting live broadcasts on Facebook Live, including a weekly recap of the news — and much more behind the scenes. Between 2006 and 2008, he introduced the newspaper to its first-ever blog — which included podcasts, audio and video. Originally from Jersey City, Kevin lived in Kearny until 2004, lived in Port St. Lucie. Florida, for four years until February 2016 and in March of that year, he moved back to West Hudson to return to The Observer full time. Click Here to send Kevin an email.