LETTER — LaClair: First he was a Dem. Then independent. Now GOP. Seriously?

To the Editor:

Run for mayor as a Democrat, get clobbered. Run as an Independent, get clobbered. I have it: run as a Republican in a town that is majority Democratic, now there’s the formula for success.

Apparently, Sydney Ferreira is counting on division within the Democratic Party to “win” election. He knows that he cannot win in a head-to-head against any Democrat, so he runs “as a Republican” in hopes of bringing us minority misrule by winning 35% of the vote, while two Democrats split the other 65%. That is not how to unite a community. Even if he won, he could not govern.

Furthermore, Mr. Ferreira’s characterization of the majority in Kearny as “left-wing” is gratuitous, insulting and divisive. A candidate seeking public office should present ideas and answers, not merely call people names. Mr. Ferreira made it obvious long ago that his only platform is whining and complaining — and not being honest about it.

Paul LaClair

Learn more about the writer ...

Editor & Broadcaster at 

Kevin A. Canessa Jr. is the editor of and broadcaster at The Observer, an organization he has served since 2006. He is responsible for the editorial content of the newspaper and website, the production of the e-Newspaper, writing several stories per week (including the weekly editorial), conducting live broadcasts on social media channels such as YouTube, Facebook, and X, including a weekly recap of the news — and much more behind the scenes. Between 2006 and 2008, he introduced the newspaper to its first-ever blog — which included podcasts, audio and video. Originally from Jersey City, Kevin lived in Kearny until 2004, lived in Port St. Lucie. Florida, for four years until February 2016 and in March of that year, he moved back to Kearny to return to The Observer full time. Click Here to send Kevin an email.