Lyndhurst PD: Newark pair nabbed after alleged shoplifting

A Newark duo were nabbed by Lyndhurst police after a suspected shoplifting incidents at a local business, Det. Lt. Vincent Auteri said.

According to Auteri:

On Wednesday, March 2,  shortly before 8 p.m., officers responded to Home Goods, 558 New York Ave., to investigate a reported shoplifting.  A store employee there said he witnessed a man and woman flee the store with several large bags and flee in an older model Lexus sedan.

A description of the suspects and vehicle had been broadcasted to the patrol officers.

Officer Michael Clifford soon after observed the vehicle leaving the area, so he conducted a motor vehicle stop. Officer Clifford learned the vehicle had two occupants, later identified as 22-year-old Tyrese Gregory (driver) and 22-year-old Brianna Fillmore, both of Newark.

Officer Clifford says he observed multiple bags filled with clothing, most of which still had price tags and security devices on them. During the investigation, Officer Clifford was joined by Sgt. Richard Jasinski, Det. Nick Abruscato and Officers Michael Scalese, Michael Giangeruso and Nicollette Villani. A search of the vehicle uncovered additional miscellaneous items suspected to have been stolen from several other area retail stores.

Officers later learned both had warrants.

Gregory had an outstanding warrant out of Hillside and Fillmore had outstanding warrants out of Livingston and the Somerset County Prosecutor’s Office.

Additionally, Fillmore was found to be in possession of a wax fold of a white powdery substance, suspected heroin.

Gregory was released on the warrant with a pending court appearance in Hillside.

Fillmore was charged with possession of heroin before being released into the custody of the Somerset County Prosecutor’s Office.

Charges on both for receiving stolen property are pending the completion of the investigation.

Learn more about the writer ...

Kevin A. Canessa Jr. is the editor of and broadcaster at The Observer, a place where he has served on and off since 2006. He is responsible for the editorial content of the newspaper and website, the production of the e-Newspaper, writing several stories per week (including the weekly editorial), conducting live broadcasts on Facebook Live, including a weekly recap of the news — and much more behind the scenes. Between 2006 and 2008, he introduced the newspaper to its first-ever blog — which included podcasts, audio and video. Originally from Jersey City, Kevin lived in Kearny until 2004, lived in Port St. Lucie. Florida, for four years until February 2016 and in March of that year, he moved back to West Hudson to return to The Observer full time. Click Here to send Kevin an email.