27-year-old punk caught vandalizing Lyndhurst’s new Sept. 11 Memorial: Auteri

Alfredo Acevedo LPD

It’s not often we editorialize any story we cover, especially when a crime is involved. We’re making a rare exception in this case, because what you’re about to read is absolutely unfathomable.

It comes to us from Lt. Vincent Auteri, of the Lyndhurst Police Department, who says last night, (Oct. 14) at approximately 6:30 p.m., 27-year-old Clifton resident Alfredo Acevedo was in the Lyndhurst Town Hall Park where he was observed by Lt. James Goral, in addition to a park patron, standing in front of and throwing decorative river stone from the newly erected Sept. 11, 2001, Memorial at the monument’s decorative wall, the replica stone twin towers and the steel beam provided to the township from the original Twin Towers.

The result of his actions were countless cracks and chips to the memorial’s decorative foundation wall, stone capped blocks and noticeable markings to the steel beam.

The cost of the damage could not be estimated. How does one put a price on damage to steel that once stood proudly as part of the World Trade Center, anyway?

“Acevedo’s actions are despicable and beyond disrespectful. He should be more than ashamed of his actions, but what concerns me is that I don’t believe this young man feels that way,” Auteri said succinctly and perfectly.

He was charged with criminal mischief, desecration of a monument and disorderly conduct. Somehow, thanks to bail reform, he was released on summonses following his unthinkable actions. We can only hope the prosecutor fails to entertain a plea in this case.

Learn more about the writer ...

Kevin A. Canessa Jr. is the editor of and broadcaster at The Observer, a place where he has served on and off since 2006. He is responsible for the editorial content of the newspaper and website, the production of the e-Newspaper, writing several stories per week (including the weekly editorial), conducting live broadcasts on Facebook Live, including a weekly recap of the news — and much more behind the scenes. Between 2006 and 2008, he introduced the newspaper to its first-ever blog — which included podcasts, audio and video. Originally from Jersey City, Kevin lived in Kearny until 2004, lived in Port St. Lucie. Florida, for four years until February 2016 and in March of that year, he moved back to West Hudson to return to The Observer full time. Click Here to send Kevin an email.